Bipinnaria from Prince William Sound, AK

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

metridia

Bipinnaria from Prince William Sound, AK

Post by metridia »

This is a sea star larvae (bipinnaria) stack of 9 photos taken through a few millimeters of seawater. I used a Canon 7D mounted to the trinocular of a vintage Leitz Ortholux (10x). This is a formalin preserved specimen, so the coloration is very dull. I would appreciate any input you may have especially regarding lighting advice. Thank you for taking a look!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I think it looks very good! Darkfield is a great light for this type of subject.

There is an overall yellow cast to the image... not too bad but it is there. I don't know if the formalin preservation did that, or if it is just a color balance question. Since the "black" background also has a yellow cast I'm thinking it is a color balance issue.

If I take the image into Photoshop and do a "color balance" targeted for "highlights" and adjust the blue/yellow slider to about +26 (towards blue) I think it looks better.

metridia

Post by metridia »

Thank you for your help! That adjustment makes it look a bit more "alive". I just received a couple of goose neck LEDs similar to the Jansjos recommended on this forum. I think they'll fix some of my issues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic