first couple of pics

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

paul_edwards37

first couple of pics

Post by paul_edwards37 »

hi all, i am new to macro. i have a canon 60d with a canon 100mm f2.8 i've bought some extension tubes by andoer with a yongnuo flash ring.
and the resualts im getting are spot on. heres a couple of pics of a fly i took yesterday. there not 100% but for a first time im happy.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Looking good!
The lights obviously well diffused. You could probably manage a few frames for a short stack, hand held. Have a go!
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Paul, a belated welcome!

From the fairly large DOF and limited sharpness seen here, I'm thinking that these were shot with a pretty small aperture.

One of the wrinkles in macro is that the tradeoff between limited DOF and diffraction blurring is a huge problem. In single-shot macro you're always trying to find some best compromise between more DOF with a smaller aperture versus more sharpness with a wider one.

The "short stack" that ChrisR mentions would be a focus stack, shot with a wider aperture to get more sharpness, and making up the lost DOF by stacking.

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Well, I thought it was pretty sharp for a single shot. The first one is not in focus in the front part of the fly head or front feet. To me, that is a priority. The 2nd one nails it in those respects.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic