Macro Table, What Type of Lighting?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

thercman

Macro Table, What Type of Lighting?

Post by thercman »

Hey Guys!

I am building a macro imaging table and wondering which lighting is ideal. It seems that constant light sources make the most sense because what you see is what you get. Although I have seen many flash setups as well. Which of the two would you recommend? If constant lighting do you have any recommendations on type or brand? LEDS seem to vary in their color temps making white balance an issue.

Here is what I am working on. The tracks are just setting in the slots for now and the light is just my on camera video light and there for just for jee wiz.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Looks like a nice start. What kind of lighting to use is determined by what kind of shooting and specimens are involved.

thercman

Post by thercman »

It will be mostly insects and small flowers... Any recommendations on where to start?

elf

Post by elf »

Diffusion is the key whether using direct lighting or flash. Design your stage so you can easily add the diffusion material.

If you don't want black backgrounds, then design lighting for the background.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic