Myxomycetes

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Pitufo,

Magnificent images! Bravo!

Question: Are the rainbow colors of the spheres "inherent" and persist in varied lighting? If so, likely due to pigment? Or are they the result of "speckle" from a coherent or semi-coherent light source bouncing off a semi-mirror-like structure? This question may be foreign to someone who concentrates on living things, but such speckle is common when photographing metals, such as coins, and optically-similar subjects.

A very interesting test of the above would involve your taking pictures of these structures with maximally-diffused light. If you could do this, we could compare coloring and get a sense of how much the rainbow coloration depends on lighting coherency. This said, I'm all too well aware that your subjects change very rapidly--so this comparison may be impossible.

Still, can you provide any insights?

--Chris

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very interesting images indeed!

My guess is that the colors are produced by thin film interference, like with an oil slick on water, or oxidation on metal.

--Rik

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

Thanks Chris and Rik,

Yes, I think the rainbow colours do persist in varied lighting and are due to thin-film interference of a membrane as suggested by Rik. Irridescence is commonly found mainly in this particular genus.

These shots were taken with maximally-diffused light as I have found that this is the best way to capture them. I have been using a simple A4 paper diffuser with 2 x 10W Tronds (thanks Beatsy for that idea http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=31825). More concentrated sources of light don't seem to give good results.
This said, I'm all too well aware that your subjects change very rapidly--so this comparison may be impossible.
They do change rapidly but, once mature, these structures are actually quite stable and if dried and stored free of bugs and fungi can last for years.

John

Pitufo

Cribraria violacea

Post by Pitufo »

Cribraria violacea on willow bark culture in a humid chamber. The spores are around 8um in diameter.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

As before - great to see. Keep it going please!
Chris R

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wonderful images, a subject near and dear to my heart :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic