Face of a hobo?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Face of a hobo?

Post by rjlittlefield »

"Face of a hobo?" It's hard to say.

This little spider was collected (live!) by another person at work (nope, not the one who collected the spider and worm). It sure looks like Tegenaria something-or-other, but it's immature and there's no telling for sure whether it's a "hobo spider" T.agrestis or the much less threatening "domestic house spider" T.domestica, also known as the "barn funnel weaving spider".

Just based on prevalence and some hints from coloration, I'd probably bet on domestica.

But I wouldn't bet much, and in particular no body parts!

So while I'm happy to keep this beast in a container and feed it flies periodically, it's not going to get loose and roam my house. Maybe after it grows up, I can tell for sure what it is. :D

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D, Sigma 105mm at 1:1, cropped. Electronic flash with paper towel diffuser. Regarding ID, see http://pep.wsu.edu/pdf/PLS116_1.pdf.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Don`t let your wife know anything about the "hobo Spider" or you will be in big trouble. You think slime mold in the fridge is bad. I bet you didn`t even tell her about your "pet spider" :wink: Excellent photo by the way. :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have never heard of a hobo spider! I know this question may be a bit odd but why are they so threatening? Powerful venom resulting in death or just massive tissue damage? Inquiring arachniphobics want to know. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Here is a little thing I looked up:
Typically, when venom is injected, the victim will experience an immediate redness which develops around the bite then begins to disappear within a few hours. Very often, for the first 24 hours, the bite appears to be no worse than that of a mosquito; then it begins to blister in the center. Within 24 to 36 hours the blister breaks open, leaving an open, oozing ulceration.

This ulceration 'scabs' over within three weeks from the initial bite, leaving a permanent scar. If the bite is delivered in fatty tissue, the lesion may be very deep and extensive, not healing for over two or three years. Systematic reactions to Hobo Spider poisoning include severe headaches, nausea, vomiting, soreness and flu-like symptoms. In extreme cases where the bite was not taken care of early, skin graft, amputation, and the possibility of bone marrow failure may occur.
http://www.hobospider.com/info/index.html
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Why didn't I think to look it up :? Oh well...thanks Doug :smt023 That is one nasty little spider! :shock:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Bingo! Hobo spider bites are much like brown recluse. See http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00042059.htm for some reports of serious problems.

BTW, my wife knows all about the "pet spider" in the impenetrable plastic container. I'm not sure, though, if she remembers me telling her that it looks just like the one that inhabits the window over the kitchen sink. But it's OK anyway -- as the designated dishwasher, I'm the one who spends the most time in that area. :wink:

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic