Millipede legs

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Millipede legs

Post by Olympusman »

Milipede legs

This specimen was 75mm long and 7.2 mm thick. Shot with a reversed 63mm EL-Nikkor lens at f11 on a bellows stacking rig. 68 shots stacked in Zerene Stacker.

Preparation notes
The specimen was captured and put in a small bottle filled with isoproply alcohol and kept there for one day. When millipedes die or are threatened they curl up in a tight coil. I uncoiled the milliede to starighten it out and pinned the ends to a piece of foam core and let it dessicate for two days. When I cut the ends off to prepare the section for stacking, the insides were so dried out I could shove in a thick pipe cleaner into the exoskeleton to position the section for stacking photography.

Fun fact - You can tell a milleded from a centipede because a millipede has two pairs of legs per section whereas a centipede has one pair.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

C.Seno

Post by C.Seno »

Nice stack! Excellent details. At first glance I thought it was ramen noodles (Yes I'm hungry at this moment) :D

I had a millipede a few months ago, and like you said, it curled up when it died and I couldn't get it as straight as I wanted. But thanks for sharing info on this situation. It will help me in the future :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic