Wemacro stacking rail

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've been evaluating the WeMacro rail for a few days, but I think I have found a problem. Whether in tethered mode via EOS utility, or standalone, if the camera is in Live View the shutter release does not work. I'm not familiar with how the StackShot works, but I assume it indeed can release the shutter when in Live View, otherwise the EFSC function would not work, and mirror slap would be an issue. Would someone using StackShot please confirm? I do see this note on the WeMacro software setting page:

"Notice:The shutter signal may be affected if you are using camera software such as Canon’s EOS utility or Nikon’s CameraControlPro Liveview on PC.You can turn off Liveview in software before run the rail."

I think what this implies is that you must turn off Live View before shooting. If that is true then it is a showstopper for me as I count on Live View with continuous lighting for all my shots.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Ray,

I can confirm on Nikon D800 that the shutter triggers in LiveVew from Stackshot when controlled from Zerene. Same goes for D500 with EFSC, except you need to use MUP and Liveview.

Mike

johan

Post by johan »

Interesting - Pentax doesn't do tethering for its APSC bodies which is why I didn't spot it in my review - sorry :(

But, on a better note, if you're not in tethered mode then liveview stacking works just fine. At least it has on my Pentax.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

No worries johan, caveat emptor et al.

I do have happy news however...my first try untethered also yielded no trigger with Live View. I just tried again and indeed it did trigger properly as long as EOS Utility was not active. This will force me to connect via HDMI, which seems easy but the connector is not a standard HDMI connector so I need to go get an adapter...

johan

Post by johan »

ahhh, so you're just outputting the screen to another screen via HDMI, rather than outputting and controlling? That's what I always do - though I don't keep LV on cause it eats batteries like crazy
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

johan wrote:ahhh, so you're just outputting the screen to another screen via HDMI, rather than outputting and controlling? That's what I always do - though I don't keep LV on cause it eats batteries like crazy
My normal method is using Helicon Remote, tethered via USB. Live View is passed over USB. If I do single shots, I use EOS Utility, also passing Live View over USB. Since WeMacro seems USB-phobic, I will need to try Live View over HDMI instead. Live View indeed eats batteries fast, but I have little choice when doing continuous lighting.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Once you start a stack, why do you need to see what it is doing?

johan

Post by johan »

I can't speak for Ray but I don't - for me I just like to be able to set start and end points on a big screen. Then I switch liveview off.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Johan, I also turn Live View off after setting endpoints. It can be important to turn Live View off during a stack. Sensor noise depends on temperature and using Live View continuously makes the sensor hotter.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Lou Jost wrote:Johan, I also turn Live View off after setting endpoints. It can be important to turn Live View off during a stack. Sensor noise depends on temperature and using Live View continuously makes the sensor hotter.
That is an interesting point.....However perhaps this is an issue for MFT sensors and/or large stacks. I find noise is an issue with my Oly OMD-EM10II but not the Sony A7rMII
I will need to try Live View over HDMI instead.
As I use a different camera not sure this comment is applicable. I had a similar issue with A7rMII. My preferred Shutter release for stackshot,cable) uses the Micro USB port on the camera.... but that rules out live view.....I tried using the HMDI to get live view..... but it didn't work (as Noted already may be just a sony issue). I use Capture 9 pro for Sony. I am awaiting the arrival of a USB splitter to see if I can get a work-around. When I do use live view ( not often) I revert to the IR shutter release however it is not reliable.
Live View indeed eats batteries fast, but I have little choice when doing continuous lighting.
This is a huge issue with the sony A7series cameras. I purchased an AC adapter which has a dummy battery that feeds the power to the Camera. This allows allows the camera to be mains powered and frees up the USB port for the shutter release or live view.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, noise is certainly more of an issue with MFT sensors. One way to minimize it on these sensors is to use hi-res mode, which almost completely eliminates it, but this slows a stack tremendously. External power supplies for the camera are necessary then.

There is also the problem of heat shut-down of flashes in deep stacks, if one is not using continuous light. I am modifying my Yongnuos to make them stay cool longer. Will report on that later in a different thread.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:Once you start a stack, why do you need to see what it is doing?
I don't need to see it, I just want EFSC to be active. With Canon cameras that only happens when Live View is active. If I turn off Live View, then the mirror will cycle before each shot. Not good with continuous light.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Oh of course. That makes sense. I use a mirrorless body so the Live View option is independent of the electronic shutter option.

williamG

Post by williamG »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Lou Jost wrote:Once you start a stack, why do you need to see what it is doing?
I don't need to see it, I just want EFSC to be active. With Canon cameras that only happens when Live View is active. If I turn off Live View, then the mirror will cycle before each shot. Not good with continuous light.
Hi
Ray
I had sent you a message,but at that time I'm not aware of what is EFSC.
We will find a camare with this function to test it. According to this page
http://www.robertotoole.com/blog/2014/0 ... er-curtain

We figure out another way to reduce the mirror‘s vibration with continuous light.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Dear William;

I found two types of 400 steppers;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reprap-3D-Print ... SwMmBVxEc7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Nema17-for- ... SwZQRYfueU

One of them is 1.7A and the other is 2.4A
I know the PSU of the Wemacro rail is 2A.

Which one can I use? Using the 2.4A motor may damage the controller?

Could you advice me to use one of above 400 steppers and explain why?
Thanks.
Regards.
Omer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic