Which Objective lens

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hotrodder19

Which Objective lens

Post by hotrodder19 »

I have had these objective lenses for some time now and think I have them sorted as to which goes with which but just want to check.
Nikon M Plan 40x 0.5 ELWD 210/0 I feel this goes with the Bellows.

Nikon BE Plan10x 0.25 WD 6.7 infinity/- I think this one is attached to my Nikkor 200mm F4 lens. As a point of interest how do you differentiate the purpose of each.

Can someone just confirm my thoughts please, many thanks Russell

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Sounds right. The Nikon M Plan should have 200mm between the base of the objective thread mount and the camera sensor. (A bit more or less should be OK, but with an NA of 0.50 you don't want to get too crazy about deviating from that distance).
As a point of interest how do you differentiate the purpose of each
Not sure I know what you re asking here... the obvious difference is the magnifications... 10X verses 40X. Your subject matter and intended composition will determine which is the better choice. The 40X will give four times the magnification and 2X the resolution. It will also make for more "finicky" operation and stacking.

hotrodder19

which objective lens

Post by hotrodder19 »

Hi Charles Krebs, thanks for the response re my two objective lens.. Are you saying that both my objective lenses can be used either way , ie bellows or via the nikkor 200mm f4 lens. ? Meant to add that the Be plan objective is a BE CFI Plan A chromate 10x, not sure if this makes a difference. My other question that I raised which you were unsure in respect to your answer is how does one know what objective is right for a bellows and that for a lens such as my 200mm nikkor F4 lens , how doeas one know the correct for each.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Your questions about how these objectives should be used, should be answered early in this thread: FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?

Also,
Meant to add that the Be plan objective is a BE CFI Plan A chromate 10x, not sure if this makes a difference.
Minor correction: it's "Achromat" (one word, no "e"). For your purposes this detail doesn't matter. It means that the lens has only the lowest level of correction. The M Plan 40X 0.5 ELWD has the same level correction, although it's not marked.

--Rik

hotrodder19

which objective lens

Post by hotrodder19 »

Thanks rjlittlefield for your comments. Is there a preference among macro/ micro camera shooters as to whether using a bellows or long lens is preferential. I set out to try both and bought the infinity lens (BD plan) for use with my nikkor 200m F4 lens and a M plan 40x ELWD 210/0 lens for the bellows. I have been looking for a 20x infinite lens and thought I had one , just bought it from USA (I'm in Australia) and just realised I purchased a 40x elwd 210/0 lens like I already have---so I will have a 40x lens for sale very soon as it arrives. I will have to look now for a CFI achromatic plan infinite lens greater than my current 10x it seems. Your past comments on this issue seems to recommend this type of objective. Is there a specific designation relevant to the brands available or are they labelled differently with different brands. What happens if I use the 40x ELWD 210/0 lens on the 200mm f4 lens for example, this answer may help me understand the uses of each specific objective.I await more learned advice, regards Russell

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If you read the thread Rik linked to, that should answer the questions.
It's just a matter of using the objectives the way they were intended to be used.
Finites go on bellows (or tubes) and Infinites need a "tube" lens.
If you try the wrong way round, you get an image but not a very good one.

If you use infinite objectives, you can change the magnification by changing the focal length of the "tube" lens. But if you go too short, the image won't cover your sensor.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic