Wobble , shake and vibration of set up

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hotrodder19

Wobble , shake and vibration of set up

Post by hotrodder19 »

Hello to Photomacrography forum once again.

Probably nearly 12 months since I began to gather info on this forum, but some illness struck and I lost a bit of interest but now I am seemingly better and raring to get into this macro stuff which looks a piece of cake----what did I say, well that was my piece of innocence flashing by !Have uploaded pics of my setup that I am about to use.

Am using the bellows at present as I forgot to order the 36TPI/RMS camera to objective adaptor for my Nikkor 200mm manual F4 lens which the forum advised me to get some time ago. So bellows at present. Objective at present is a Nikon M Plan 40 0.5 210/0 ELWD. My light source now is 2 x 900 lumen LED spotlights on brackets that attach to the main frame ---main frame supports all. Specimen is separate on a stand held by alligator clip.

Now I was ready to go and start this seemingly easy macro photo work ! Two important questions now
1. how do I get the head of an insect, in my case a bull ant with a head 2mm across into the centre of view ? After about 40 minutes I needed resuscitation and a drink.
2. Now in the process of trying to get this insect in good view I was very much thwarted by the incredible vibration, movement, etc etc trying to focus. Each time I touched even gently the whole thing become drunk and disorderly, then waiting for it to settle only to go through the process each time I tried to focus. I know without doubt I have chewed off toooo much on my initial try with the 40x objective and Chris did say a while ago the same thing, the lens will be using a 10x so somewhat easier

My thoughts are that I need to take the light holder structure off the platform holding the camera as I think the weight of the lights is wobbling the whole process, do you agree? The box you see is sitting on a heavy metal table on a carpeted concrete floor.
Next question is how to get the specimen/ insect in good view so I can begin taking pics, instead of me moving the specimen stand around the globe in order to find for example its head. I will await a response from the forum and then see what else comes up that I need to discuss.
I look forward with great interest in what the learned people out there have to say.

Regards hotrodder19

[Edited for disrupted layout AdminCR]

Troels

Post by Troels »

Even though I have only worked with magnificcations up to around 2-4x I see some problems in your setup.

1) Your object should be fixed as solid as your camera. Your nice, long wood sticks have lots of ressonance. Give it a lilttle knock at the end and it will continue to vibrate for several seconds. Long woodden sticks are like musical instruments. Sound is caused by vibrations.

Your object should be carried by a massive, heavy structure without ressonance.

2) The base plate (for the wood stick) is very tiny and far from heavy enough. Find an iron block or plate with a weight of 3-5 kg. if you want to be able to move it around on the table.

3) It is difficult to evaluate your build-up for carrying the camera. Check all cennections for wobbling. Just one connection with a too small touching area or a connection covered with cork or rubber will destroy the overall stability.

4) When your point of gravity gets too far away from the general base, your problems start growing. Consider the questions: Do you really need the extra focusing rail when you have the micrometer focusing at the basis linear table, and you are able to move your object freely? Do you really need the extra batttery pack mounted at the camera? Without Live view you should be able to shoot a few hundred pictures from a fresh batteri.

The feewer connections the better. A lower camera position also alows you to mount your object on a lower carrier.

Just some ideas to get you started. Good luck!

Troels
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome back hotrodder.

Yep, it's what Troels said :)

You'll need a lot of diffusion, but a couple of sheets of tissue paper over the subject would work to begin with.

Do try flash, that'll demonstrate the vibration issue.
Chris R

hotrodder19

Wobble, shake and vibration of set up

Post by hotrodder19 »

Thanks Troels , The only reason I elevated the set up was so I could see the LCD screen of the Camera clearly. Perhaps I will try to take out the other slide rail. Batter pack can be eliminated yes. Thanks for the advice. Back to the workshop !

Kind Regards hotrodder19 (Russell)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic