Does F stop value change? (adapting larger format lens)

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

austrokiwi1

Does F stop value change? (adapting larger format lens)

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I am just testing my assumptions. I use a Mamiya 645 80mm macro on my sony A7rm2. Its rated F4 by the manufacturer. does the effective aperture change on the full frame sensor camera?

I have always assumed the answer is no.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The effective aperture of a lens does not change when you use it on a different size sensor.

In going from the Mamiya 645 to a full frame sensor, all you're really doing is cropping from 6x4.5 cm down to 3.6x2.4 cm.

--Rik

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Thanks that is exactly what I thought. I believe it was a couple of weeks ago I read some photo blog that said the F value did change. At the time I thought it was less-than-intelligent. However over time the statement niggled away in my subconscious soI thought I would confirm my understanding. The blog was much in the same line as some "boy wonder" on you tube claiming that the A7 range of cameras was the best because by switching to APSc capture the focal length of the lens would change. It horrified me that some might believe him... he obviously didn't understand that crop factor only applied to the field of view. I tried to find both blogs again... I couldn't
Still learning,
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I doesn't matter that he's wrong. If he says it loud enough he'll get elected.
Oh sorry, wrong forum.
Chris R

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

ChrisR wrote:I doesn't matter that he's wrong. If he says it loud enough he'll get elected.
Oh sorry, wrong forum.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the tears are rolling down my face!!!!
Still learning,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic