In-camera focus bracketing with Olympus OMD M1 part 2

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

ChrisR wrote:How depressing!
We can all think of ways to try to work it out, but giving no guide at all doesn't earn them any respect.

Does the "0.75 x dof" theory seem to work? Does it change with aperture?
I haven't really looked at it further. I think the .75 of DOF is as good a guess as any. From my observations ( not rigorous) it does seem to match up with the focus peaking highlights, the 2-3 times I tried to see what was going on.
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

wayupnorth wrote:

In order to maintain constant exposure between shots P, A & S are unsuitable so the camera should be used in manual.

Thank you,
Vishnu

elf

Post by elf »

I'll have to disagree a little bit. I use aperture priority mode in order to maintain consistent exposures, especially when doing macro panoramas.

I think it's best to experiment when shooting in different environments.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Each one has his style and tricks, but as general advice I agree that M mode will provide the most uniform exposure between frames, of course providing that the illumination is constant.
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I now have tested some of these lenses as tube lenses for the Mitu 10x. I can confirm that the Oly 60mm macro vignettes with this objective, but their beautiful 75mm lens does not. The field of view with the 75+Mitu is 4.6mm. This looks very good.

I've also tried the Panasonic 100-300 as a tube lens. Vignettes at all zoom settings, though at 300mm only the corners are affected. The results do not look sharp though (in the viewfinder).

pierre

Post by pierre »

Dears,

A bit off line question, but since you have to take numerous pictures, you might want to lose a stack due ran-off battery.

Does the E-MD5 Mark II have a way to have permanent AC power like the Nikon or Canon using dummy batteries ?

I have search for this but failed.
Regards

Pierre

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The M5 mk II can be run on AC but it is an expensive addition. You have to buy a double grip outfit and second battery and the AC adapter is like $80.

But it us available. buy the time you buy all the parts you will be several hundred dollars lighter. But the camera is very reasonably priced to start with given its many talents.

elf

Post by elf »

There are several models of the BLN-1 battery on thingiverse. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to 3d print one and connect it to a 7.4V wall wart.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I bought the power supply for the em5II. But there is no similar thing for the PEN F which has a better sensor. Do you think it would be safe to make a dummy battery and connect to a DC transformer? Voltage regulation might not be sufficiently precise.....
\
Alternativeluy use a dummy battery in the camera connected to a battery pack outside made of a few Oly batteries in parallel.

wayupnorth

Post by wayupnorth »

Surely the simplest way is to invest in a couple of spares and change batteries a bit earlier. I have 3 and would probably run out of storage first.

pierre

Post by pierre »

Many this for your answers & kind support.

3D print seems OK.

There is also a ready to use solution:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... r_for.html

Using DC couplers works fine on all Canon, and the Fuji camera I have used.
Regards

Pierre

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Pierre, magnificent solution!!!! Thank you so much. This is perfect for the PEN F and solves the biggest problem of shooting deep stacks with that camera. I ordered it immediately.

elf

Post by elf »

Did you order the required relay as well? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... /accessory

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes I did, but thanks for making sure. I could easily have missed that.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A big external battery could have been another way to go. Eg here,
http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-on-th ... eras..html
Though they don't do an Oly lead I expect the voltage is the same??

Be careful with external supplies.
I used a cheap one for a Canon 600D/T3i for years, then one day I plugged it in while it was switched on.
It broke the camera - beyond economical repair. I get "Error70" unless I only use the useless auto mode.

I'd like to know exactly why it broke it. It isn't difficult to limit the open circuit voltage of a power supply. I doesn't measure very high on a meter but it could be spiky.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic