www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Focus stacking misused
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Focus stacking misused
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Focus stacking misused Reply with quote

Focus stacking works for other subjects to Wink

20 images

Olympusman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Focus stacking Reply with quote

One of the most remarkable stacked image I have ever seen was a lightning storm. The photographer lived on a hill above a city and stacked about twenty or so lightning strikes into one image.

Mike
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image stacking for sure, but is there any actual focus variation between frames?. If not, it will be better qualified as multiple exposure.
Guido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pau wrote:
Image stacking for sure, but is there any actual focus variation between frames?. If not, it will be better qualified as multiple exposure.

Think it's none of both!
Olympusman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Image stacking? Reply with quote

Just the same, image stacking software allows us to produce images unknown beforehand. HDR (which is wildly abused and end up looking like velvet paintings) can also be applied to photomicroscopy. I don't know how many of us are old timers and remember water-bath development of black and white silver film for extended contrast ranges.

Mike
JW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Image stacking? Reply with quote

Olympusman wrote:
I don't know how many of us are old timers and remember water-bath development of black and white silver film for extended contrast ranges.

Mike

Ah, the old push-pull with TMX100, I used to underexpose and overdevelop to increase contrast (guess I qualify as an oldtimer Rolling Eyes )
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Image stacking? Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Ah, the old push-pull with TMX100, I used to underexpose and overdevelop to increase contrast (guess I qualify as an oldtimer Rolling Eyes)

That new-fangled T-Max stuff, eh? Didn't hold a candle to Pan-X, Plus-X, and Tri-X. (Old-timer--who, me?)

--Chris
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the wrong proportions of metol, phenidone and hydroquinone, you could have played around with Farmer's and a potassium dichromate/hydrochloric acid bath. With Plus-X and Pan-X anyway.. Couldn't afford TMax!
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Glass plates and collodion, anyone?
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collodion? I used to dream of collodion whilst fuming silver plates in mercury. And carrying the camera obscura uphill both ways, in deep snow, barefoot to save shoe leather. . . . Rolling Eyes
Guido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first SLR in 1975, a Pentax Spotmatic F with a takumar 50/1,4.
I used Pentax BW film, later Kodak. As HP5 came on the market it was my favorit for years. I shot pictures for newspapers and needed strong contrasty pictures. HP5 was ideal. Could easily push it up to 3200 ASA (iso)
Olympusman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Developing techniques Reply with quote

The newer emulsions were too thin to hold much developer for water bath development, so the technique kind of went by the way side. As for me, I overexpose B&W film a full stop and underdevelop 30% -- good exposure range and the highlights don't block up. I also agitate very little. Presoak, continuous tank inversion for the first thirty seconds, then one inversion every thirty seconds for the next 2.5 minutes, and then one inversion a minute for the remainder. Beautiful negatives.
I almost exclusively use D-23 film developer.

Mike
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I settled on Acutol. Unsharp Mask in a bottle Smile
Olympusman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Acutol Reply with quote

I have some Pyrogallic Acid and have tinkered with some of the staining developers, but geez they're a lot of work.
And on the topic of classic B&W films -- Verichrome Pan.

Mike
Olympusman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Acutol Reply with quote

Looked up the Acutol formula and I think I'll give it a try this summer with the 8X10 view camera. I see the magic ingredient Phenidone (of which I have slightly less than three pounds -- long story). Phenidone was the other ingredient in the POTA developer (the other being Sodium sulfite) which yielded a 20-stop range for photographing atom bomb tests back in the 40s and 50s. Strange negative requiring the highest polycontrast filters to get a decent image, but what a range.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: