Help with Nikon vertical illuminator

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Photomicro

Help with Nikon vertical illuminator

Post by Photomicro »

Just obtained a Nikon (Optiphot?) vertical illuminator, amongst some other bits and pieces. The BF/DF plunger could not be moved, and there was something inside rattling. So, I had to take apart.

The plunger was easily eased so that the BF/DF segments slide into place.

However, the item rattling was loose, a glass disc that is silvered on one side. I cannot see where exactly this should go, so am asking if anyone has had one apart, or just knows!

Thanks in advance, I hope the photos show up OK. Really dull outside and raining, so had to use flash.

Image[/img]
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

According with your description it seems a beamsplitter for BF incident illumination although it seems very thick, I guess the position would be at the 45º angled part of the BF insert of your illuminator at the position marked with the red arrow fi there isn't another one installed

The silvered surface will be better placed facing to the objective (and light source)

The right orientation (see the black lines at it) could be very important for polarized light
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic