Critter Mix

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Critter Mix

Post by Dalantech »

The first three frames are from last year and the last one is new.

Technique: It was early in the morning and this Wool Carder Bee was having a tough time getting its metabolism going. I was holding onto the stem of that flower with my left index finger and thumb, and resting the lens on that same hand to keep everything steady. The bee would occasionally move, and when it stopped I'd roll the flower's stem with my fingers to turn the critter toward the camera and look for a composition.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F10, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (over 1x to over 3x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

ImageSleep Walking VIII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

ImageSleep Walking IX by John Kimbler, on Flickr

ImageSleep Walking VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Technique: I found this Flower Chafer Beetle covered in pollen and shot it by grabbing onto the flower and forcing it to come up behind the critter so I could use it to keep the background from being black. Then I just rested the lens on that same hand to keep everything steady.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (around 3.5x) + a diffused MT-24EX (-1 1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

ImagePollen Like Snow by John Kimbler, on Flickr

abpho

Post by abpho »

Great series John.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

abpho wrote:Great series John.
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic