www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Pectinate grooming spur of a paper wasp (Polistes dominulus)
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pectinate grooming spur of a paper wasp (Polistes dominulus)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Pectinate grooming spur of a paper wasp (Polistes dominulus) Reply with quote

Somehow you folks got me started on grooming spurs. This is from one of the Polistes dominulus wasps featured in an earlier posting. The structure of the wasps' grooming apparatus is conceptually similarly to that of the Pogonomyrmex flying ants that I posted earlier, but the details are very much different.

--Rik

Technical:
Canon 300D camera, 10X NA 0.25 microscope objective on 150mm extension, 95 frames stacked at 0.00025" spacing. Dual fiber illuminator with Kleenex tissue diffuser. Helicon Focus with manual retouching of stacking halo and physical debris on the specimen.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I had any hair to groom, I would be thankful for a comb but of course it would be better than lying in the driveway and licking yurself too! Shocked Laughing Hey great shot there Rik!
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
beetleman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent closeup Rik. Incredible detail & sharpness. Awesome results for all your effort.
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Doug said, excellent detail and focus. I really like how you were able to get enough light through the subjects translucent body to bring out details on the opposite side. I assume some quality backlighting was involved?
Walt
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Very Happy

Walter Piorkowski wrote:
I assume some quality backlighting was involved?

Um, gee, it's hard to say. The setup for this beast is illustrated here, over in the Technique forum. There's a gray card behind the subject, a Kleenex tissue tent around the subject and lens, and I just played with the fiber heads until the thing looked right. From the position of the lights that I remember, there would have been little or no direct illumination from in back of the focus plane. On the other hand, there would have been a fair amount from only slightly in front of the focus plane, which could act a lot like "darkfield" and brighten up the subject compared to the background.

In direct examination under a dissecting scope, what struck me was the crystal transparency of the lower part of the grooming spur, and I played with the illumination until that aspect came through in the photo.

Don't know what else I can say, Walt. I always hate to admit that it's a mystery why one of my pics came out good, but, um, it's a mystery? Confused Rolling Eyes

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: