80mm lens shootout - for coin photography

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

karlmera wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote: Feff=10.8 has a lot more diffraction blur relative to the MFT sensor than Feff=12.8 does to the FF sensor. As a result, when you make same size prints, the MFT sensor gives a more blurred image to go along with the greater DOF.
But if we want the same sharpness, we should take the relative aperture, p.e.

eff. 8 for MFT and eff. 16 for FF? And the dof is the same, isn't it?
DOF, not sharpness, but yes, eg

on 18mm sensor, M=1, marked f/4 becomes eff/8 DOF= 0.19mm
on 36mm sensor, M=2, marked f/5.33 becomes eff/16 DOF= 0.19mm

I like seeing the numbers ;).
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

rjlittlefield wrote: Again, the requirement for same diffraction, same DOF, is that Feff must scale in proportion to sensor size

--Rik
I guess in simple terms..."use smaller apertures for larger sensors".

But please don't blame me for saying that diffraction was the reason for preferring smaller sensors! My reasoning was purely related to the magnification range required for a range of coin sizes and whether that range crosses over the 1:1 line, plus whether the range encompasses magnifications which are optimum for a wider range of lenses (eg enlarging lenses). The diffraction discussion was ancillary.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlmera

Post by karlmera »

ChrisR wrote:
karlmera wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote: Feff=10.8 has a lot more diffraction blur relative to the MFT sensor than Feff=12.8 does to the FF sensor. As a result, when you make same size prints, the MFT sensor gives a more blurred image to go along with the greater DOF.

DOF, not sharpness, but yes, eg

And the sharpness is with FF better?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

karlmera wrote:

Yes.

For clarity, let me take this again from the top.

I'm concerned with DOF and sharpness in the final images, and for comparison those final images have to be the same size. Because the MFT sensor is half the size of the FF sensor, the MFT image has to be magnified twice as much to get the same final image. Then to get the same blur in the final image, after twice the magnification, the diffraction blur (Airy disk) on the MFT sensor has to be half the size it is on the FF sensor. The size of the Airy disk is proportional to the effective f-number, so that's why effective f/8 on MFT gives the same diffraction blur in the final image as effective f/16 on FF.

I realize that I'm repeating myself, but when the DOF is the same, so is the impact of diffraction on sharpness, regardless of sensor size.

There are other reasons to prefer large or small sensors, having to do with convenience, available lenses, and achievable noise levels. But those are completely independent of the DOF/diffraction tradeoff which is the same for all size sensors.
ray_parkhurst wrote:please don't blame me for saying that diffraction was the reason for preferring smaller sensors! ... The diffraction discussion was ancillary.
Agreed. The diffraction discussion started with my reaction to austrokiwi1's misleading statement that the smaller sensor gets more DOF and requires less stacking. It does not, except as a side effect of somehow encouraging him to set his lens aperture to do that.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic