OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0 - includes focus stacking

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0 - includes focus stacking

Post by johan »

Very interesting V4 firmware release by Olympus: http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

"But now the OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0 Firmware Upgrade, with focus stacking and focus bracketing, has been released. I had the pleasure of testing the new firmware for about a month. Once I started using the new firmware, shooting was so much fun that I couldn't concentrate on my work for a month.

From the menu, turn Bracketing on, select Focus Bracketing Mode, and set the number of shots and focus steps. Focus steps are available from 1 to 10, and up to 999 shots can be set, which is quite impressive."
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

jojm

Post by jojm »

Johan, thanks for the link.
This update will be available end of November.
This will also allow to use the silent mode and the high resolution mode with the EM-1 (only available on the E-M5 Mk II at the moment).
In the same time, the new release of the tethering software, Olympus capture, V1.1 will be launched. It will allow a more complete use of the EM-1 and EM5 Mk II capacities, remotely from a computer.
Particularly interesting, it will allow to use HR mode and silent mode which it is not possible presently.

jojm

Post by jojm »

The firmware release for both the EM-1 and the EM-5 Mark II will be available on November 26th.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/info/2015b/if151120omdj.jsp

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

I have updated my camera but have no time to try focus stacking and focus bracketing (currently living in a crowded apartment to cut down on my and my wife's commute time).

Focus bracketing (up to 999 shots with out-of-camera processing, for example with Zerene Stacker) sounds more interesting for our uses. Focus stacking (with in-camera processing) is only possible with one macro lens (the Olympus 60 mm) and two Pro zooms, and limited to a maximum magnification of 1x. The camera apparently knows a table of DOF values based on magnification and aperture, and applies it to calculate the focus increments in focus stacking. So it might or might not be possible to add a reversed lens in front of the 60 mm to increase magnification and still get appropriate in-camera focus stacking, only testing will tell that.

On the other hand, focus stacking may be just the right thing when out in the field with a tripod on a day without wind - no need to pack an extra Stackshot for work at 1x and less.

Some preliminary tests (not mine) here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... mware-v4.0
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic