www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - New beginner member from Lancaster UK
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New beginner member from Lancaster UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryceM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: New beginner member from Lancaster UK Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am a (very) mature PhD student at Lancaster. I have joined here for two reasons; firstly my interest in photography has moved ever smaller in scale - from landscapes to small spaces to closeups, and on down to now macro; and secondly my current research project has me needing to try to create 3D models of very small rock particles - 1mm and less - the hope being I can do it from macro images. I am hoping I can find my way in here :-)

Bryce
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Bryce.
What sort of rock? Are you allowed to say:D ?
Are they opaque specimens?
BryceM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I am looking at volcanic ash. I want to look at the structure of many particles, and although I could use the CT scanner or SEM, those methods are very expensive. If I can work out a photographic method then I may have a useful cheap alternative.

they are light grey to dark grey and very opaque.

Bryce
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try with light microscopes or microscope objectives in a macro setup, but for your goal (If I understand it well) SEM is the way to go. Volcaninc ash particles can be really small, 1mm are often qualified as volcanic sand more than ash.

I would suggest you to first try looking your samples under a normal optical microscope and at a reflected light microscope if available and compare it with SEM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: