Morpho wing

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

Lou Jost

Morpho wing

Post by Lou Jost »

Yesterday I went to our Amazonian jungle reserve, the Rio Anzu Reserve, to test my new bridge camera, the Panasonic FZ300, on live macro subjects, and to get material for various stacking experiments. It was an amazing trip, nonstop interesting bugs everywhere. It will take me a while to work up the best ones. Here is one that didn't need much work.

It is a morpho wing, found on the ground, undoubtedly the remains of a jacamar's meal. It was a glorious object glowing in the brown leaves. It's taken at f5 with diffused TTL flash. A Raynox 150 close-up lens was attached. Maybe this was over-sharpened, but it does capture the brilliant contrastiness and sparkliness of the wing as seen in that dark understory.

Its organic nature seemed to catch the interest of many passing ants, and one with its monster gaping jaws paused long enough for me to get a picture. Because the ant was very dark and the scales are brilliantly shiny, I used HDR to combine different renderings of a single RAW image to get this image.

I also did it manually, using the proper rendering for the ant as the base, and then using the proper rendering for the morpho wing as a layer on top. I then manually erased the ant in the top layer, exposing the brighter ant in the base layer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic