New old scope and image issues?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

chemophilic

New old scope and image issues?

Post by chemophilic »

Hello all,

This is my first time posting and hope to learn a lot here! I just got a new to me Standard 16 with Neoflaur phase objectives. I used that for teaching and had started taking pictures with the trinoc head with an Amscope 2x adapter. However, with the pictures I took with the 10x objective, there seems to be a patch of dirt (see picture). I thought I wiped down the adapter lenses, objective, condenser lenses, and also the field diaphragm part... so I am bit puzzled as to where there might come from... any suggestions? Thank you!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm not a microscope expert, unlike quite a few others here, but I'll start with a question: If the camera you're using is an interchangeable lens model, have you checked the cleanliness of the sensor?

--Chris

chemophilic

Post by chemophilic »

Thank you!

I took it with a A7ii, but I just checked and the sensor is clean, so I am thinking it is a scope related problem...

Bushman.K

Post by Bushman.K »

Those dirt stripes look like a partial fingerprint.
So, it probably gives certain idea about size of surface, where it's located.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Welcome!

Most lens in your camera and microscope system can be rotated. You can rotate one lens at a time and take a photo or look into eyepiece to see if the "dirt" rotates.

Since your "dirt" photo came from trino tube, have you looked into eyepiece and did you see the same dirt? If eyepiece reveals the same "dirt", then it is below the eyepiece. If not, it is probably your adapter lens or camera Lena.

It does look like finger print. To see it clearly, you may need to shed light at an angle.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

This isn't dirt on sensor. I agree with Bushman.K: likely a fingerprint (could you indentify the culprit? :D ) and with zzffnn about the right method to identify it. I would add to change the condenser height: if it defocuses it's located under the condenser. For me the most probable locations are:
- The glass cover placed just over the field diaphragm
- The eyepiece if your camera adapter uses one or the adapter optics
(although you say to had cleaned all them)

(of course first be sure that it isn't at the slide just moving it)

Your image will improve a lot with a custom WB (or shooting RAW and tuning it in post processing), a blue filter also will help.
Pau

chemophilic

Post by chemophilic »

Thank you for the reply! I just took a picture of a blank wall with and without the adapter, and it turns out that the issue is with the camera adapter, even after wiping down the lenses. Guess this is going back to the company for a replacement.

As for WB, I agree with you that it can be a lot better with shooting RAW. I am just wondering though if it is appropriate to set the WB (as in customize WB) via the adapter with no slides?

Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic