Parasites on board

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

James Sutherland

Parasites on board

Post by James Sutherland »

I assure you there is difficulty in working with two moving targets at the same time. I believe the parasite is Kerona Pediculus (?) This is a hypotrich cillate found on the surface of the Hydra. Apparently the parasite consumes epithelial cells off the host. There were about six "running" about and would infrequently pause...usually not in tune with the waving tentacle. My trash can was full of blurred images.
Thanks, Jim
Site: Mt Hood campus pond, Gresham,OR

Coolpix 5000
Oly EH trinoc
B.F. 20X
no flash
Keep looking down...and think small!

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Very interesting, James!!

I didn't know of this parasite. I recently showed some Trichodina on Hydra, so I know what you are talking about concerning the fast movements. If your Coolpix allows an external flash, you might try my humble set-up:

Look under " Mikrofotografie" The pics should be self explainig, but in case of language problems, please feel free to ask!!

http://bernhard-lebeda.de/mikroskopie/a ... stung.html

Bernhard

James Sutherland

Post by James Sutherland »

Hi Bernhard!
Thanks for the reply & for the information concerning your set-up...I did visit your site with no problem. I have been looking for the flash & need a remote as well. Is your remote a Nikon or a "generic?" I see some generic type on Ebay but who knows how good! I see your interest in astronomy as well. I'll send an Email to the site & possible a picture of my telescope (Unitron) This is where I found some ID info:
http://starcentral.mbl.edu/microscope/p ... geid=23377
Thanks again, Jim
Keep looking down...and think small!

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

James Sutherland wrote:remote as well. Is your remote a Nikon or a "generic?" I see some generic type on Ebay but who knows how good!

Hi Jim

I'm using this cord:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Remote-Control-Relea ... dZViewItem

It is very good. In fact it had been advised to me by a guy from a Coolpix yahoo group. The original Nikon MC-EU1 seems to cause problems and mess-ups at times. Plus it is about four times as expensive!!

As you have seen I'm sometimes using a TV monitor to get a bigger live picture. As soon as you connect the Nikon remote cable the video signal is cut off which is annoying. It works splendidly with the chinese cable.

So I strongly recommend it!!

Clear skys!

Bernhard

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Jim, I've not seen these on Hydra before. Surprising the don't wind up getting themselves "harpooned" by the nematocysts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic