General identification keys

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TravisH

General identification keys

Post by TravisH »

Good afternoon all,

I am very close to being complete in my beginners setup, allowing me to have a look at general items under an optical microscope (and use the live-view on my monitor) however as I look at things, the scientist in me wants to be able to learn more about them, and if possible identify them as I go.

I know this is a very vague question likely ever asked on this forum, but does anyone know of general sources for good identification key's based on the structure of what you are looking at under the microscope.

I have seen the Pond Life identification kit from Microscopy-UK, but are there any other higher level identification key's people are using to identify what bug, creature, insect etc something likely is?

If so, would you be able to post them to this thread, as it would be good to consolidate these (if possible) if the question has not been previously asked.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/pond/index.html

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

You may be looking for something different from than this, but be sure to check out "The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried", discussed HERE.

--Rik

TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Thanks for the suggestion, anything that improves my knowledge and forms a foundation on which to identify organisms sounds good to me, regardless of what / where it is :).

BJ

Post by BJ »

hi,

for freshwater, can i recommend:

COLLINS NATURE GUIDE: POND LIFE OF BRITAIN & EUROPE. BY RICHARD MANUEL & CHRIS SHIELDS

- as freshwater organisms are widely distributed it will be useful beyond Europe (eg in North America).

or

the book I grew up with: The Observers book of Pond Life"... almost certainly now only available secondhand.... and you are not getting my copy - it is a treasured possession!

good luck

Brian

PS Rik's suggestion is excellent - i consult it often - but perhaps not for the absolute beginner

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi,

i do not know why i forgot to add this book:

Ward and Whipple (1918) Freshwater Biology

available online at:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibl ... 2#/details

An encyclopedic work (over 1000 pages) with identification keys and excellent diagrams. Relates specifically to north America but useful throughout the temperate northern hemisphere.

OK, it is old so quite a lot of the scientific names of the organisms will have changed but make a successful id with this book and in most cases you will be able to track down the currently accepted name quite quickly.

Enjoy!
Brian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic