Nikon low mag Plan objectives with irises

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doc.Al

Nikon low mag Plan objectives with irises

Post by Doc.Al »

Hi,

I have just seen these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Nikon-Micro ... 419c0f8ae8

and just wondered if anyone knew anything about them, and whether they would be any good for macro work?

I have a bellows setup, but have just invested in a MP-E 65 and stackshot, which should happily cover this range, but I am intrigued by these lenses, especially the 3X.

Alex
Nikon Labophot 2 with CFN objectives.
Canon MP-E65 and StackShot

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

These were useful in the film days when we needed to compromise between sharpness and DOF such that a single shot could be taken of a macro subject. My experience with them (I have tested the 2x IIRC) is they are not great wide open (poor coverage, aberrations not well-corrected), and really need to be stopped-down to get a halfway-decent image. Since you have a stackshot, you don't have to make this compromise, so I'd recommend steering clear. Your MPE65 will cover the 3x range nicely.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Ray,

I'm wondering if they were intended to be used with Nikon compensating eyepieces (as they are pre-CF optics)?

Regards, Ichthy

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Alex,

If you want to do a group buy and split cost, I am interested in the 1.2 Plan NA 0.03 (and nothing else), if it is in good optical condition.

I am located in Houston, 77030, USA. Please feel free to PM me.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi Ray,

I'm wondering if they were intended to be used with Nikon compensating eyepieces (as they are pre-CF optics)?

Regards, Ichthy
Ichthy...maybe so, but I am not sure the usefulness of an aperture except for photography.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Here's a thread from about a year ago with useful info on these objectives:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 0010c15148

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Ray and Ichthy,

Comparing the Nikon 1.2 Plan NA 0.03 with a new Chinese 1x "Plan" NA 0.025 ( http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 9061770840 ), which one would you bet your money on?

Please kindly comment. I understand that your answer may be based on an educated guess, which is good enough for me.

I know neither is great, but I can accept mediocrity in exchange for convenience in this case. Either will work for me actually, though I really only want to buy one.

I openned a relevant thread last month: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ht=#174852

I think with my budget and requirements, I have to choose one out of those two.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've had mixed results with the various Chinese objectives I've tried, mostly 2x and 4x from different brands. One or two were excellent, but some not so great. Biggest issue was coverage, with some field problems correctable with stacking, some not. Most all were good in the center so you can't go too wrong, and they were all reasonably well-corrected for CA, unlike the Nikon 1.2 Plan. So my vote would be for the Chinese optic, with the caveat that your expectations should not be too high.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

ray_parkhurst wrote:I've had mixed results with the various Chinese objectives I've tried, mostly 2x and 4x from different brands. One or two were excellent, but some not so great. Biggest issue was coverage, with some field problems correctable with stacking, some not. Most all were good in the center so you can't go too wrong, and they were all reasonably well-corrected for CA, unlike the Nikon 1.2 Plan. So my vote would be for the Chinese optic, with the caveat that your expectations should not be too high.
Thank you very much, Ray. I do not have high expectations for this purchase. I understand that a $100 new 1x objective would not be truly plan and won't be sharp across the field.

What did you mean by coverage - did you mean ability to cover camera sensor with quality image, without significant vignetting, when used without eyepiece? That should not be an issue for me.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

zzffnn wrote:
What did you mean by coverage - did you mean ability to cover camera sensor with quality image, without significant vignetting, when used without eyepiece? That should not be an issue for me.
Yes, sensor coverage limited by quality or vignetting...Ray

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic