Caught in a web

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

salden

Caught in a web

Post by salden »

Not a spider, but it was in a web. This "redbutt" was tangled up and could not get out of the web. I took the opportunity to grab a few images and then I released him. There was no spider in the area and I seen no reason to let the "redbutt" die from starvation. I think he had been in that web for awhile.

Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Your a nice lady Sue Alden :wink: I really like that last shot :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very interesting photos Sue. They remind me of those posters with hanging animals that say "Hang In There baby" or "hanging by a thread". They look awesome against the white background.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

salden

Post by salden »

Thanks guys. That white background is my house. The web was on the stairs by the driveway leading into the den.
Sue Alden

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are great -- especially #3! This has got to be the most clear impression I have ever gotten about the shape of these bugs, and the crispness is memorable -- even startling, since I don't see a bit of oversharpening to go with it. Very nicely done. :D

The little fellow definitely deserved its freedom, in exchange for enabling these pictures. :D

--Rik

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Number 3 is great Sue. I have never seen one of these critters before.
Walt

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Everything has been said above ... nice work Sue!

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

dougsmit

Wheel Bug

Post by dougsmit »

All were great but I agree that the last is the best of the bunch since it shows the mouth parts so well. I'm glad you released it since these eat 'bad' bugs in the garden but I understand that they have a painful bite.

Yours is a juvenile Arilus cristatus or Wheel Bug from the Assassin bug family. Smaller babies are all red while adults are brown and have a big 'wheel' on their back. I understand I am not to post a picture here so I'll try starting a thread and see if that works.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic