How to Mount Mitutoyo?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

leekekhuan wrote:for reverse Raynox i think ring configuration don't change, i hope so.
Sorry, I overlooked this.

The Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250 both have 43mm male threads on one side and 49mm female on the other. Reversing them definitely requires a different ring configuration.

The thread I linked in my previous posting discusses ring setups.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lee, you have not mentioned in this thread what camera you are planning to use. That matters a lot. In an earlier thread, you mentioned 5D3, which is full frame. Is that still the case?

--Rik

leekekhuan

Post by leekekhuan »

rjlittlefield wrote:Lee, you have not mentioned in this thread what camera you are planning to use. That matters a lot. In an earlier thread, you mentioned 5D3, which is full frame. Is that still the case?

--Rik
Yes Rik i will be using full frame 5D3, will i get better result if i use APSC?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

leekekhuan wrote:i will be using full frame 5D3
In that case the Raynox DCR-150 is particularly attractive. Again, look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=23898 and consider the edges and corners.
will i get better result if i use APSC?
Probably. That's because APS-C gives you more options for optics that work well. For example the Mitutoyo MT-1, Thorlabs ITL200, and Nikon MXA20696 will cover APS-C with high quality image, but they will not cover full frame (36 mm x 24 mm). Similarly there are a lot of finite objectives that will cover APS-C when used with direct projection but will not cover full frame. APS-C is also much less vulnerable to vignetting.

If you get everything right, then a full frame sensor will make a little better images because it can capture more light and potentially pack in more pixels. But it's much harder to get everything right with full frame than with APS-C.

When somebody asks me what they should do, starting from scratch, without hesitation I recommend APS-C.

On the other hand, if somebody tells they have a full frame camera and they want to use Mitutoyo objectives, then I say "Great -- that will make excellent images!", and I point them to the Raynox DCR-150 as a simple and inexpensive known good method.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic