www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - LED conversion Zeiss Axiostar
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LED conversion Zeiss Axiostar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
descall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: LED conversion Zeiss Axiostar Reply with quote

Hello Forum,

Can anyone provide advice with regards to converting a Zeiss Axiostar Plus to LED illumination please? It is for use in my new campervan when away on fieldwork, so I need to limit the power consumption. I include a couple of photos of the insides below. Many thanks for any help.

Best regards,
Des

Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to place the LED at the same position of the lamp filament, very close to the collecting lens (although because a LED chip is bigger than the halogen lamp filament the exact position is not very critical).

What illumination techniques do you use?
For BF you don't need a very powerful one, for cross pol, DIC or DF you need more power.

If you are not an electronics guy a light torch without its reflector and glass could be adapted without removing the halogen lamp, assuming that what you want is a provisional setup.
descall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pau, I'll be using BF only. I'll give the LED torch technique a whirl and see how I get on. Best regards, Des
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, at first look I didn't understand the picture! Embarassed . It seems that the lamp holder must be accesed from the microscope base, so just placing a torch will not be doable. A microscope mirror placed over the lamp and an external focussable LED torch will work.
For a permanent conversion you must do some serious surgery
Gary W Brown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Led conversion for Axiostar Plus Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've done quite a few LED conversions and the Axiostar Plus is good candidate.

I have a conversion kit (110V) that easily goes in the position of the circuitry of the scope and powers a 1W LED that is sufficient for bright field applications.

I also did a project using an LED with variable intensity that was powered by three AAA batteries. This is my field scope and is comprised of components from five microscopes.

It's been a while since I've done the field scope, but if your are interested I'll try to locate the web sites where the components are available.

Best wishes,
Gary
descall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I had a fiddle inside the Axiostar and then decided an alternative approach, since I needed something pretty soon. I bought a small LED microscope, which arrived yesterday and is very suitable for my field needs. The Axiostar may, afterall, have been a bit big for my minicamper, which I now plan to put on eBay. Thanks again for your information.

Best regards,
Des
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: