Thanks so much for this forum!

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MedicineMan4040

Thanks so much for this forum!

Post by MedicineMan4040 »

It's been a bit since I've stacked. I've actually been shooting macro in the field :) Here is one from such efforts-
ImageBotella Verde by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr
That is an exciting image for me because it kinda of justifies my new 'field' set up. It's a Lumix GH4 + Venus 2:1 Macro + Extension tube + Yongnuo ring flash (diffused homebrew style). It's exciting because I'm getting long in the tooth and this is a rig I can carry/wield for a long time before tiring.
Here is another one-
ImageCelebrate Morning (1 of 1) by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr
Now those shots might not be quite as good as something from a heavier (e.g. EOS body and an MP-65) but again I can carry it and not be slumped over by the end of the day of shooting.
Now a big thank you to Rik who posted a link to a tutorial on processing via Zerene=WOW! I've just scratched the surface with a quick processing of one image but I'm blown away! And to think I was trying to use photoshops clone-stamp tool! I'm still in the 'infancy' of macro but I love it and dread winter-which isn't that far away :( So here is my latest stack-
ImageLast bug for a While by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Archibald

Post by Archibald »

Nice stack, MedicineMan, looks pin sharp. I guess you used a rail. Was this lit with your ring flash?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Very nice focus depth in the first pic, MM, but there's something odd with the color? Try tinkering in Photoshop with the individual colors in "Curves" or "Light Balance", starting with more green or less magenta.

I can't guess what went on, the other pictures in your photostream don't seem to have the problem.

MedicineMan4040

Thanks for the comments and support!

Post by MedicineMan4040 »

Archibald hello! the first two pics were via the GH4+Venus Macro+Yongnuo ring flash out in the field (and hot Sun I might add :)
The fly face was done in the studio with a 70D+MP-65+MT-24ex Flash all on a StackShot Rail, processed in the fantastic Zerene software.
Both flashes are diffused homebrew via ideas gleaned at Orionmystery's blog/website.

ChrisR I'm clueless about the colors myself=more to study! Thanks for the c/c as always and pointing me in the right direction.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

MedicineMan, thanks for the kind words.

About the colors, there are a couple of things to watch for. A big one is that diffusers often change the color of the light in ways that are not obvious to our eyes but make a big difference to the sensor. That effect can be almost completely compensated by doing a custom white balance from a white or gray card that has been illuminated by the flash+diffuser. Another is that for macro work, auto white-balance often fails because the scene doesn't contain any standard mix of colors that the camera can calibrate from. Both effects can be almost completely compensated by doing a custom white balance from a white or gray card that has been illuminated by the flash+diffuser.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic