TRUE carpenter ant, take 1

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ctron

TRUE carpenter ant, take 1

Post by ctron »

Getting this as best as I could didn't come without a price! The good news is that I found a spot in one of my decaying outdoor sheds (definitely a project for this Summer) that will provide a fresh supply of carpenter ants of various sizes. What amazes me is how fast they are if you try and capture them, took quite some time. Unfortunately, this candidate was too large to fit into the FOV of even my objective reduced to 6.7x, so hauled out the reverse kit lens for this one at about 3x (I've since captured a smaller one, so keeping fingers crossed). It was tough for me to determine the micron steps required, so I just went with 30 micron steps. Anyway, same set up with the styrofoam cup diffuser I have been using with just natural background this time. Resolution isn't what the objective produces, but I'm fairly satisfied (I guess I'm spoiled by the objective). Unfortunately, trying to get the ant in place for test shots pulled something in my back. Ok now, but I think I'm going to try making a set up at a stool/seating level rather than having to crouch down on the floor every time.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

A high-quality image.
Workers, in this genus = Camponotus, come in 3 sizes: majors, intermediates, and minors. The queens are huge.
Several possible species but C. pennsylvanicus seems likely as it nests exclusively in rotting wood, often in wood-framed structures (you shed!)
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ctron

Post by ctron »

Thanks! I did notice three sizes of them while observing their tracks up and down the shed walls. This image was made from one of the largest ones I found, but I have since caught one of the smallest I've seen and hoping to do something with that one later.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic