Spider dispatching bee

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Iainp

Spider dispatching bee

Post by Iainp »

I've downloaded the trial version of the fantastic ZS and I'm now getting used to the trials of capturing multiple layers in the field to stack! This is a 2 stack of a spider's encounter yesterday with a very unfortunate bee. Handheld, flash, 105mm Sigma lens on D3100 Nikon.

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

that's a good result Ian!

Question: what aperature was used?

And an idea that has occurred to me:

would a monopod serve to maintain the lens' centre axis? A more stable aproach, vía the monopod's anchor point to something stable - relative to subject? I imagine someone has probably tried it -would be keen to know if it helped at all.

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Thanks! Aperture was f9 I think. I'm still experimenting with tripods/monopods and at the moment using an artists easel to gain stability. The main problem I'm finding is the difficulty setting up in the long grass, or disturbing the insect in doing so. By the time I'm ready, the creature has normally disappeared

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A stick can be very useful, but a pain if you fix your camera to it. Being right-handed, I find using my left to hold the shaft of the stick, and also steady the lens while rocking slightly, helps. The foot of the stick can be anywhere there's plain ground.
Central axis alignment of the camera has to be held between shots as well as possible, so the longer the stick, and larger the radius of movement as a result, the better.

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

ChrisR wrote:. . . Central axis alignment of the camera has to be held between shots as well as possible, so the longer the stick, and larger the radius of movement as a result, the better.
That's it exactly CrisR!! :D I failed to describe adequately at the time. Perhaps this technique is better suited for eye level subjects, like on a tree.
Last edited by Carmen on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Iainp wrote:Thanks! Aperture was f9 . . . at the moment using an artists easel to gain stability. The main problem I'm finding is the difficulty setting up in the long grass, or disturbing the insect in doing so. By the time I'm ready, the creature has normally disappeared
Thank you Iain for the interesting details. I now better appreciate the situation: the spider almost at ground level, and of course extremely sensitive to the slightest vibration.

The way I see it, what you are attempting is challenging in various aspects. Hence, any modicum of success is all the more praiseworthy! :D

I saw this Manual Linear Stage the other day: similar to a velmex or proxxon if memory serves. Imagine something like this fixed to your artists easel, or perhaps a small plate of metal, to be placed on ground in proximity of subject. Perhaps a spike could on bottom for more stabilty. This would allow more precise increments, but of course more expensive and more cumbersome. I wonder if anyone has attempted this type of technique?

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

I'll give the stick idea a go Chris. Thanks too Carmen. That Linear Stage device looks great, but I can't see myself with it out in the muddy fields of England!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic