J-B Weld "Steel Reinforced Epoxy" resin

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

TheLostVertex wrote:Also the MSDS that I linked to is from 2004, while newer MSDS's for the "same" product omit much of the information. I can only guess there has been a change of formula and then a change in the way the MSDS is written?
That's definitely what I think. The earlier MSDS listings show iron / stainless steel as 10-20% by weight. As ChrisR says, those materials would be opaque, and I would be completely shocked if even 10% by weight were managing to hide in my samples.
But the most puzzling thing of all to me, is if there is steel in it... why do they advertise it on the package, but intentionally omit it from the MSDS? It is not like they are keeping a big secret :roll:
Well, one scenario is that they've changed the formulation so that the product no longer contains actual steel, but for business reasons they want to maintain the appearance of continuity. For that purpose, having some percentage simply omitted from the MSDS works better than having everything listed, and iron/steel not among them.
I wonder if maybe we are being fooled a little bit by the illumination used?
The crystals are consistently red in transmitted light. In reflected light they have a surprisingly wide variety of appearances. I have some other pictures that I hope to get posted out in a day or two.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rjlittlefield wrote:I have some other pictures that I hope to get posted out in a day or two.
Well, it's been more like 2 weeks, but I did finally get those other images posted out.

They're in the Macro forum, at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=28177.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic