Help the noobie please....

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MedicineMan4040

Help the noobie please....

Post by MedicineMan4040 »

Hello to all. My first post and def. noob questions. First regarding flash useage. First my kit:
EOS 70D, MP-65, StackShot. MT-24EX flash.
My problem/ lack of knowledge or understanding- I begin a stack sequence, the flash fires, yet the 'exposure' or time until I see an image is very long...upwards of 10 seconds...this when the shutter speed is 1/10 or 1/100 doesn't seem to matter. Luckily StackShot knows to wait until the exposure is over before the next shot. So a 70 stack sequency can take sometimes 30 min's. What am I doing wrong?

Next question. Zerene is wonderful but it strips my EXIF data. Any way to prevent this? Or add EXIF back to the final image?

Not much of an introduction :( Sorry :)
I'm not complaining, for someone new to the sport I like my results (but want to improve improve and improve more and more--that's why I'm here)....an example of my level macro:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicinem ... ed-public/

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome to the forum!
From the wasp shot it's obvious you're doing OK!

10 seconds - don't know.
When I get this sort of thing it's usually a setting somewhere, though they can take a whle to find.

What happens if you use the camera without the Stackshot?
What camera setting are you using?

Does the shutter light on the Stackshot stay on for the 10 seconds?

Is it possible the Stackshot is keeping the shutter "half pressed" and the camera's reacting to that?

Is the flash set to manual - which most people find best anyway? (I'm thinking "pre-flash")

And - I assume you're not controlling the camera "Tethered" - from a computer?

MedicineMan4040

Thanks for trying to help !!!

Chris thanks for trying to help.
For that wasp shoot-
exposure 1.3 seconds
F8
ISO 400
manual focus
manual mode on dial
Flash (MT-24EX) M 1/2 power
StackShot light stays on
Flash will fire, then I hear shutter click (mirror lock up engaged by the way)
StackShot light stays on 10-12 seconds.
I think 112 shots.
Then off to Zerene/LR/CS6.

I should tell you I build an enclosure, styrofoam cooler lined in black felt.

I hope you can discern a clue from the above!
Robert

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Robert, welcome aboard!

Your timing problem with the StackShot rail sounds like its "Tpulse" setting has gotten changed to some value around 10-12 seconds. To correct this, press the Config button for a moment, then in the Global Config menu, press the Select button until Tpulse is selected (has the ">" character in front of it), then press or press-and-hold the Down button until the value is around 500 ms.

The reason I think your problem is Tpulse is that you say "StackShot light stays on 10-12 seconds". As far as I know, the duration of that light is controlled entirely by Tpulse.

You also say that "Luckily StackShot knows to wait until the exposure is over before the next shot", but actually it doesn't. The StackShot just runs "open loop" with no feedback from the camera to the controller. If the camera is slow, the controller just runs on ahead while the camera gets behind. That's another reason why I think the StackShot is running slow, not the camera.

I notice that you're using mirror lockup.

Does that require two shutter pulses per frame, or with the 70D can you keep the mirror locked up forever and just cycle the shutter with one pulse per frame?

If it's the former, requiring two shutter pulses per frame, then you might also be having extended times per frame because the StackShot controller box will make your total time per frame be Tsettle + Tpulse + Toff + Tpulse + Toff, as shown in Figure 4 on page 9 of the StackShot manual that you can download from https://www.cognisys-inc.com/downloads/ ... al_1_4.pdf . This use of a single Toff parameter for two conceptually different purposes -- time for mirror lockup versus time for actual exposure -- is one of the few design deficiencies in the StackShot controller. It can be overcome by using the StackShot controller panel built into Zerene Stacker, which provides two separate parameters for those functions ("Time between shutter pulses" and "Time after last shutter pulse").
Zerene...strips my EXIF data. Any way to prevent this? Or add EXIF back to the final image?
At this time, there's no way to prevent it. The simplest way to add EXIF back to the final image is to use some photo editing program such as PhotoShop. The procedure goes like this: Open the Zerene Stacker final image and any one of the source images. Use select_all/copy/paste to move all the pixel values from the ZS image into the source image. Then flatten and save the resulting image to a new file. The result will be the pixel content of the ZS final image, merged with the EXIF settings from the source image.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

MT-24EX flash
..this when the shutter speed is 1/10 or 1/100 doesn't seem to matter
Not actually related with your stackshot issue, but if electronic flash is your only light source to take the pictures, why do you use so slow shutter speed?
Usually is better to set the camera manually at the maximum sync speed (usually between 1/250 to 1/180, see your camera manual) to minimize the contribution of ambient light.
Pau

MedicineMan4040

Wow such HUGE answers and me realizing I know nothing!

Thanks to all for the vast amount of info given in such a short time. The hospital 'owns' me every other week-this my work week, but next off week I'll delve into the menus of the StackShot and give it another go (setting out fly traps between now and then as well.

Another clue ---I thought I mentioned--- I place my subject (in this case the wasp) in a stryrofoam cooler lined in black felt. Each flash head of the Twin 24ex is aimed at a side wall....so the light bounces off the walls hits the roof then showers down onto my target.
I kept trying many ways to diffuse the twin flash but so far this cooler method has worked best for me.

Thanks again to all for the fantastic support AND education!
Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic