Must Be Lizard Week for Me...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Must Be Lizard Week for Me...

Post by Ken Ramos »

Dang boys if'n I didn't come across another'n (in my best Slim Pickens).

EOS 30D
EF-100mm f/2.8 macro
430EX Speedlite @ -1/3

twebster

Post by twebster »

Cool, Ken :!: I've not often seen the Eastern species of spiny lizards so these images are a treat to me. I like the bottom image quite a bit. Good portrait with a bit different head turn. The top image, I wish you had turned the camera vertical and backed off some to get the whole tail. Good grabs, though. :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeah your right Tom. :-k It would have been nice to have gotten the whole tail in there but at the time I was in a hurry because I suspected this guy wasn't going to hang around long. However, it did. Thanks :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

You got in close to him, good job stalking for some impressive photos!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Mike :D I kept inching closer, all the while shooting and looking through the viewfinder, until the depth of field started to sour. Then I figured if I did not have at least one good photo it wasn't because I didn't try. However the little beast was quite cooperative. :D

salden

Post by salden »

These are great Ken. I have not found any lizards in my neck of the woods yet.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Sue :D Quite unusual for me to find so many around here of late. First the one munching the spider and then this one. I also captured a Widow Skimmer too. I will have to post that tomorrow. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice shots, Ken. :D I'm curious about the red stuff around the neck. It looks like some sort of liquid. Any ideas?

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik asked:
I'm curious about the red stuff around the neck. It looks like some sort of liquid. Any ideas?
I am thinking it's blood there Rik. Maybe it got into it with something or another. Thanks :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent photos and creature Ken...What a great find. I love the way he blends right in with the tree bark. I`m guessing the orange things might be mites or small ticks. In the second picture you can see a hint of orange under some of the uplifted scales along the top edge of the lizard
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know you mite be right there Doug. I had never considered mites. Those little things get into or onto mite near everything. Mite even have a few myself. I'll have to take a look. Thanks Doug! :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Great illustration of camouflage in picture one. Unless it moved you would not notice it at a casual glance, even if it may be obvious once you spot it.

DaveW

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Really nice images there Ken. I don't know if we have any in Illinois and didn't realize you had them were you live. I thought they were all in the deserts.

Walt

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Very cool, Ken. I particularly like #1 & #2. It would be cool to see the whole tail as mentioned above, but it's a really nice composition, otherwise. I like the way the background shows a combination of grasses, flowers, ground, etc. too. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Dave, Walter, and Craig. Thanks guys! :D

There are quite a few lizards to be found out this away but you mostly end up just coming across them by accident, as was the case here. They do blend in good to their surroundings. I was shooting on the move getting in closer as I went along, so comp suffered a bit on that tail. I was expecting any moment for it to dart off like they are known to do. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic