small doli stereo

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

small doli stereo

Post by BugEZ »

a nice stereo taken with my 10X Oly, 200mm Pentax tele, LED lighting, 217 frames.

a nanotus with gerky motion as it moved about the leaves by Keith Short, on Flickr

MaxRockbin

Post by MaxRockbin »

This is just fantastic for a live bug (and ##### good dead or alive). The higher res versions and shot of the wing on Flickr are especially great.

Stacking a fly - a really small fly - (with moving wing!) at this magnification is just something you don't see every day.
If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

MaxRockbin wrote
This is just fantastic for a live bug
Sorry, the fly was quick frozen, thawed then photographed. So it was very very dead.

My stacks (wing and body photo you mention among them) are all done with dead subjects in the studio. A live bug might permit two photos with minimal motion, but 1X-2X magnification is the best I can do with my field equipment, all of which is hand-held. Dolichopodidae (long legged flies) tend to be jumpy and move when a strobe flashes so they are difficult to shallow stack at lower magnification.

Others have taken advantage of cool AM temperatures when bugs are less mobile to create some astonishing field stacks. And there are many "still" subjects worthy of field stacking. I have not had much success with field stacking but have not chosen to concentrate on it. Perhaps I am saving it for when I retire.

Do a search in the forum for "field AND stack" and browse the results for tips if you are interested.

But, thanks for the kind remarks about the photos!

Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic