MYXOMYCETES XII The Start of Sporulation

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

MYXOMYCETES XII The Start of Sporulation

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Upper image:
Scale of frame, 3.5mm horizontal
Canon 10D
B&H .7 inch f.l. lens @ f/4 on extension tubes
Series of 42 images at .001 inch increments
Diffused fiber optic illumination
Combine ZM, Photoshop
Collected 6/13/07

Middle image:
Scale of frame, 18mm horizontal
Canon 10D
Fujinon 50mm f.l. lens @ f/5.6 on extension tubes
Series of 77 images at .005 inch increments
Combine ZM, Photoshop
Collected 6/13/07

Lower image:
Scale of frame, 1.65mm horizontal
Canon 10D
Canon 20mm f.l. lens @ f/5.6 on extension tubes
Series of 36 images at .0005 inch increments
Combine ZM, Photoshop
Collected 6/13/07

I am so delighted to finally have some images at this early stage of sporulation. A rare find that is so well displayed by the miracle of image stacking. These myxomycetes, fresh out of their substrate have had their hypothallus layer deposited onto the substrate surface by the plasmodium. (See the transparent surface material at the base of the center subject in the upper image.) The translucent stalk or stipe is supporting the swelling peridium sphere. The orange material that will later form the spores and capillitium can be clearly seen in the hollow channel of the stalk.

The middle image again made possible by image stacking shows a cluster of the myxos erupting from the substrate material which is a decaying log.

The lower image pushes my macro system to the limit in an attempt to show more details in the hypothallus and stalk. It is interesting to see how the folds in the transparent sheath of the stalk act like micro lenses to refract the contents of the center. Similar to looking through a glass block. Enjoy!

Walt

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

WOW...

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Ah photos to be envied. :D The protoplasmic upheaval, the transitioning from animal to myxomycete. I wonder exactly down to the letter what triggers this and what chemical and physiological changes that we cannot see are going on in these things. Beginning as decomposers in the animal kingdom and ending up as what, I/we do not know. A deep curiosity they are. :-k

Walter Piorkowski

Thank you Gordon and Ken. I knew you would appreciate these Ken. Watching the images pop out of the Combine ZM process gave me the same thoughts. Which of the myxoamoebic cells desides to be come the hypothallus or the stalk. What desides which ones will become the orange goo racing up to form the new spore mass and capillitium. Facinating subjects for a lifetime of study.

Walt

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Bravo!

Walt, you may be pushing your macro system to the limit, but these sure are pretty results coming out! I haven't had enough time lately to do any of this "extreme macro" stuff, so I am really Really happy (and more than a bit jealous! :wink: ) to see somebody else doing this kind of work.

More! More! :D

--Rik

Walter Piorkowski

Thanks Rik, I know that you have been up in the range of my bottom image with that honey bee eye shot you did. Look forward to you getting the time to do more excellent stuff like that.

Walt

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Walt,

Thanks for the compliment. I confess, I don't recall doing any honeybees. I suspect you're remembering some of Charlie Krebs' wonderful work, like his classic "Bee face in profile" or his more recent "Honey bee face". (Of course I'm happy if any of my work gets confused with Charlie's! :D )

My best high-mag shots are probably the trigger mechanism of a click beetle http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5112 and foot of a jumping spider http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... .php?t=725 .

In any case, I'm curious about one of those lenses you're using. It's an unusual designation: "B&H .7 inch f.l. lens". Something from a movie camera or projector?

--Rik

Walter Piorkowski

My apologies Rik. What my faulty memory was trying to remember was your excellent article "Extended Depth of Field Photography of Insects et al. and your shots of the Painted Lady Butterfly eye and labial palp.

Regarding the lens, you guessed it correctly. It is an old Bell and Howell, f/2.3 Super Comat formerly found on a 16mm Bolex. I have it mounted, in reverse of course, on an extention tube arrangement I made. I found referances to this type of lens being used in the old Kodak book on closeup photograghy. they said it was highly corrected so I thought I would give it a try.

And thanks for referencing the spiders foot and trigger mechanism I was very impressed with both images. I had forgotten how really close you have gotten.

Walt

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Incredible work Walter. The photos are so surreal looking. All I can do is stare at them in awe. I really hope someone notices them and can use them to further our knowledge of these strange and fascinating life forms. #3 is jaw dropping. :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Walter Piorkowski

Thank you Doug. I appreciate your comments. It is funny how people react to certain images. I wasn't going to put in the lower closeup cause I didn't think anyone would be interested. Glad now I did.
Walt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic