Need advice on macro lens choice

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro Photog

Post by Macro Photog »

Chris,

I've been out of pocket for a few days, sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for the tip. I've received the lens and one mounting plate. Waiting for another to complete the set so I can begin my micro adventure.

Best,

Nick

brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

I'm looking forward to your assessment. Interesting thread.
The trouble with quick and dirty is that the dirty remains after the quick is gone.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I've been out of pocket for a few days, sorry for the delayed reply.
Freudian slip? Out of Town? :lol:

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

ChrisR wrote:
I've been out of pocket for a few days, sorry for the delayed reply.
Freudian slip? Out of Town? :lol:
Apparently that figure of speech hasn't made it across the pond. In at least parts of the U.S. (southern states and East Coast come to mind), it means, "Out of the office," "incommunicado," or "unavailable."

It's a polite phrase because it does not burden the listener or reader with details about why one is not available. I can vouch for the fact that it has seen wide use on Wall Street for several decades at least. I can't recall hearing anyone else use it here in Ohio, or in my travels through other parts of the American Midwest and West. However, when I've used the term in voicemails and emails, nobody has seemed to misunderstand.

My OED is out of date, and has references to this term back to 1946. An internet source unverified by me says that a newer version of the OED attests it further back, to 1906.

--Chris

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

:? Over here, to be "out of pocket" definitely means to have lost money, in some transaction. I've never heard it mean anything else.

Macro Photog

Post by Macro Photog »

Didn't mean to confuse. I try, but don't always, filter out regional words and phrases in posts. ChrisR, I am "out of pocket" for a few lenses the 5x and Nikon 105 mm 2.8 D being two of them but don't consider it to be a loss or funds misspent. I'm rather excited about the new doors they will open.

Best,

Nick

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ha! I try to avoid some phrases too. There's sometimes the risk of a different interpretation of words which are in nominally the same language. It's interesting how these things develop.
To be OOP in English English, you'd have to have parted with the lens and not recovered all your money, or perhaps still have it but found it to be no use. I'm hoping, for you, that neither of those should be the case!

Back to the subject - I haven't ever seen a specified sensor to lens distance for the MM objectives. I figure that if we get 5x magniifcation, it must be about right. There's some interesting descriptions of different types of telecentric lenses here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommer ... x?CID=1439 .

These MMs would only be only object-side telecentric.

Still not sure what your best bet woud be for say 2.25x. Perhaps with a revesed micro Nikkor, or the 105 pushed out on tubes or with a Raynox dioptre (diopter!).

Macro Photog

Post by Macro Photog »

ChrisR Got it! I must say after the first shoot I am not OOP on this lens. I posted a few images of my first shoot here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=27423

Thanks for the Schneider reference. And additional 105 advice. I have the reversing ring, extension tubes and bellow to get the necessary distance. I will have to look into the diopter option

Nick

Macro Photog

Post by Macro Photog »

My MM 5x and mounting plates finally arrived. I've only worked with them a little while but so far very pleased with the choice and think its a great complement to my existing lenses. The "hooked" part is I see myself (over time) purchasing more objectives and delving further into micro photography.

I've included one of my first images with a reference photo. This was taken in with a 10 shot stack. I used all available extension on the bellows (200mm), extension tubes (68mm), and a TC-201 (2x teleconverter).

Thanks again to everyone for your input and advice.

Best,

Nick

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

rjlittlefield wrote:This is speculation! If anybody knows for sure the story here, I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

Not sure exactly if this is finite or an infinity 10X MM objective (or even if it is a prototype or production piece) but this did pop some one time ago on Ebay.

What is interesting is the 10x-A designation and the recessed front element (or possible missing front element). My 10X MM front element is only recessed about 2mm. BTW the poor shape and high price kept me away.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote: What is interesting is the 10x-A designation and the recessed front element (or possible missing front element). My 10X MM front element is only recessed about 2mm. BTW the poor shape and high price kept me away.
Looks more like it is "missing". It's doubtful there was such a big design change between a normal and -A version of this lens that they completely changed the optical formula to eliminate or move the objective element, but still left the mechanical barrel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic