How to calculate the step-size for the stacking

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

How to calculate the step-size for the stacking

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everyone,
Does anybody know any rule for the calculation of the size of the steps for the focus-stacking?
Especially for the microphotography with an ocular and a relay-lens.
BTW, for the macrophotography (without any ocular) I am using the rule based on NA
550nm/(NA*NA)) / 2
Thank you in advance.
BR, Adi

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

I would like to know as well, thank you very much!
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

JH

Post by JH »

I use the formula from the article "Depth-of-Focus in Microscopy" written by I.T. Young, R. Zagers, L.J. van Vliet, J. Mullikin, F. Boddeke, H. Netten

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Microscopy

To get the two sided depth I just multiply the formulas with the factor 2, hence the "lamda/(NA^2)"

If I get the math right the "simple" lamda/(2*NA^2) formula is totaly OK in air until NA goes up to 0,5.

Above that you have to do some new calculations - or stop doubling the "simple" formula.

I do not change the step size with different relay lenses.

Regads

Jörgen

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Jörgen,
“I do not change the step size with different relay lenses.”
Are you using the same rule for the calculation of the step-size for the photos with an ocular and without any ocular?
BR, Adi

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The optical DOF, such as 1/4-lambda wavefront error, depends only on the NA of the objective.

Changes to other lenses in the system will not alter the optical DOF, unless you introduce some sort of small aperture that further stops down the whole system.

The only other way that DOF will change is if you reduce the magnification or display size far enough that what the viewer sees is limited by sensor or display resolution, instead of optical resolution.

--Rik

pulsar123

Post by pulsar123 »

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Rik,
Can the DOF be affected by the manipulation of the iris of my relay-lens (Helios 44M) ?
BR, Adi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello pulsar123,
I am looking for the rule because I would like to implement it to my self-made macro-rail.
At the moment the NA is entered and the step –size is calculated by the program.
BR, Adi

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Adalbert wrote:Can the DOF be affected by the manipulation of the iris of my relay-lens (Helios 44M) ?
There is no simple yes/no answer.

Stopping down the relay lens can increase DOF but it can also introduce vignetting.

Whether you can stop down far enough to increase DOF, before you also get too much vignetting, depends on details of the relay lens and how you have the objective mounted.

So, you would have to test to be sure.

In any case, remember that getting more DOF by stopping down also introduces more diffraction. Stopping down anywhere in the system is equivalent to using an objective with smaller NA.

--Rik

René

Post by René »

Hi Adi,
By practical comparison: 20x: 1um, 40x: 0.67um, 60x oil: 0.5um.
This is based on the micrometer screw; due to the refractive index of the mountant this is not the same distance as for the sample.

Hth, Rene

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Rene,
OK, but my calculation is based on the aperture (550nm/(NA*NA)) / 2

At the moment I am taking two photos a level of DOF.
BR, Adi

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Adalbert wrote:Can the DOF be affected by the manipulation of the iris of my relay-lens (Helios 44M) ?
There is no simple yes/no answer.

Stopping down the relay lens can increase DOF but it can also introduce vignetting.

Whether you can stop down far enough to increase DOF, before you also get too much vignetting, depends on details of the relay lens and how you have the objective mounted.
With the lenses shown, you'll mostly can get just vignette, the camera lens aperture will show almost focused, it's useful to close it just before vignette to help preventing external light but not to have more DOF/contrast. With the microscope this is done with the condenser aperture.
Take a look: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15607 (second picture)
Pau

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Pau,
Thank you for the link!
My solution is similar but I’m using 58mm relay-lens (close to 63mm) for the full-frame.
BR, Adi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic