1st focus stacked photo' of an argentine fly

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carmen

1st focus stacked photo' of an argentine fly

Post by Carmen »

Esteemed photo-micrographers:

I considered best to begin to learn processes of focus stack with a common fly, even though I have more colorful specimens in the freezer. First learn to walk, then to run.

In the first attempt, a Nikon CFi 4x Plan Achromat microscope objective was mounted on Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens with a UV filter, imaging to a small ASP-C sensor. Macro lens open to f2.8. Camera mounted vertically on bottom of tripod. Approx' 2x magnification. Focus was controlled by Canon's EOS utility vía humble windows based note-book computer.

The fly was placed on a peel of apple to give a fruity background. 91 focus slices were captured, at intervals of one mouse click on the >> button in the GUI of Canon's EOS utility software. 5 sec exp' with continuous lighting. But unknown to me, the peel was slowly arching: after the 91st capture, the fly finally fell from its fruity perch. If not, I would have continued for more depth of field.

Focus stacking processes were P-max & D-map with z stacker program. Considerable retouching in Z stacker and some in photo-shop. Yet the hairs do not quite convince me.

In the 2nd attempt, a Nikon CFi 10x Plan Achromat microscope objective was mounted on Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens with a UV filter, imaging to a small ASP-C sensor. Again, Macro lens open to f2.8 and camera mounted vertically on bottom of tripod. Approx' 5x magnification. Focus was controlled by Canon's EOS utility on humble windows based note-book computer.

127 focus slices were captured, at intervals of one mouse click on the >> button in the GUI of Canon's EOS utility software. 8 sec exp' with continuous lighting. Focus stacking process P-max & D-map with zerene stacker program. Retouching in Z stacker and some in photo-shop.

In this 2nd attempt at 5x, the fly was impaled on a typical sewing needle, fixed in turn to a spool of thread. Thus the fly faced upward, into the camera. But unfortuitously, the neighbors began a birthday party at this time. Highly excited children were jumping one floor below. At 5x, this made the fly vibrate. So it was necessary to wait for vibrations to subside before continuing to next focus slice. At the 127th capture, the camera battery finally died; if not, I would have continued to extend depth of field.

QUESTION: ¿what are probable causes of "streak" type artifacts in 5x photo? :? possibly a stack of dead pixel from each focus slice? dust? help please!

Lessons learned: mount subject more securely; limits of stacking software; dust problems; difficulty of manually positioning at 5x; vibration from party next door noticeable at 5x.

Comments, questions and considered opinions are greatly appreciated!

p.s. Is the first focus stack of a fly like a rite of passage?
Last edited by Carmen on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Carmen, these are an excellent start. Yes, surely stacking a fly must be some rite of passage!

The light streaks in your final image look like trails of "warm pixels". These are caused by individual photosites on your sensor that happen to accumulate charge from electrical leakage much faster than most pixels. The camera cannot tell the difference between this charge and extra light at those photosites, so they come through as brighter than they should be. The problem is more severe with long exposures and higher temperatures, so low light and extended use of Live View will bring out the worst. Exposing with flash instead of continuous illumination would probably eliminate the warm pixel problem.

The fact that the trails are radial (oriented roughly toward center) means that they were caused by scale changes through the stack. At low magnification, with a normal macro lens, such trails usually reflect the actual geometry of the stack, which is some combination of perspective foreshortening and focus breathing. However, when using a microscope objective at 10X NA 0.25 and above, radial streaks are often caused by the alignment computation being misled by the way that objects appear to grow and shrink as they change focus. At 10X NA 0.25 and above, it often works better to turn off scale adjustment. There is an extended discussion at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 9878#79878.

--Rik

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Thank you Rik for encouragement! :)

I read the suggested thread, and greatly apprciated your judicious techical explanations: very helpful!

Joyful

Post by Joyful »

Great Start Carmen !

My adapters have arrived from RafCamera - delayed by Easter Weekend, and the fact that I am not registered as an importer !

My Granite base-plate is busy being drilled for rubber vibration absoring legs (I cannot locate sorbothane locally - please advise if anyone can help) and for specimen and camera mountings. Delivery expected any day now!

My Nikon objectives are only due sometime in May - so I am in a state of suspended animation !

Joyful

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Thank you Joyful for the encouragement! I think that every experience can serve as a base to improve future attempts! I plan to attempt more amateur photomicrography this week-end (given a few hours of free time).

Just as your adapter order arrived, your micro' objectives will surely arrive, sooner or later. Patience.

The granite base-plate seems a good idea, at least for horizontal orientation. I'd love to see plans and results!

On alternatives to sorbothane (vibration absorption material):Bill mentioned inner tubes as described in Lefkowitz's Manual of Close-Up Photography. What occurred to me is silicon bake sheets, but I have not tested this material.

best wishes from argentina,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic