Selecting polarization filters... are "weak" ones

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TortoiseAvenger

Selecting polarization filters... are "weak" ones

Post by TortoiseAvenger »

I'm looking for some glass filters to use with my scope. The plastic seems to scratch very easily.

In my search, I came across these Tiffen filters. The reviews are mixed, with the negative complains mainly focusing on the "weakness" of the filters... that when coupled and opposed they do not block out all light. Would this be a problem? Should I look for something else?

I like the fact that these filters are available in smaller sizes, which is what I need. They're also linear, which doesn't seem to be as common.

Any advice or comments appreciated!

Thanks,

TA

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Tortoise, quite some time ago, as a university student who had to watch his pennies, I purchased a set of Tiffen polarizing filters for general photography. These days, I use B&W polarizing filters for general photography, and they are vastly better than the old Tiffens (which I still have). Color neutrality and extinction are far better with the B&W's. Internet scuttlebutt suggests that current Tiffen polarizers perform similarly to the ones I bought quite some time ago.

For my macro work with microscope objectives, I use an Olympus analyzer for my Nikon finite objectives, and an Edmund Optics Unmounted linear glass polarizer for my Mitutoyo infinite objectives. Both perform extremely well, with no real difference between them.

These particular Edmund Optics filters are not inexpensive, though. Edmund does has a much cheaper line called Linear Glass Polarizers, which somewhat poorer--though not terrible--specifications. I have not tried them.

For my lights, I use laminated linear polarizing film from Edmund Optics. Edmund offers several forms of this, and seems to have changed the names of these products since I purchased my supply. I think what I use is Visible Linear Polarizing Laminated Film.

Of course, if I correctly understand what you're looking to do, you won't be operating with an "open" macro rig, as I do, but with a microscope. How you would go about using these materials in a traditional microscope raises question marks in my head.

Cheers,

--Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic