Manufacturing debris flushed from a new faucet

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Manufacturing debris flushed from a new faucet

Post by rjlittlefield »

I recently replaced a sink faucet. (See old one HERE, "Layers of rust".)

The manufacturer recommends to flush thoroughly before using. So I did that, and in my curiosity I also caught some larger bits in a sieve.

Here's the view through a Canon MP-E, shot at about 3.4X, cropped to about 75% frame width on a Canon T1i. That makes field width as shown here about 5 mm.

Zooming in to actual pixels and rotating the image 1/4 turn left gives this interesting bit of detail.

I reshot that piece using a 20X NA 0.28 objective on 100 mm tube lens to give 10X on sensor. Here's that view at actual pixels.

And finally we have the obligatory stereo view, which I always find much more interesting in terms of revealing the structure of the subject. I've cranked up the contrast and sharpness of this view because it seems to make the stereo lock up better.

Cross-reference: These were shot as a "first light" test case using the vertical setup with harvested Olympus focus block as shown HERE. Focus steps were 26 frames at 40 microns for the larger field with the MP-E at 3.4X and f/4; 199 frames at 2.5 microns for smaller field and shallower depth with the 20X objective. Exposure times 1/13 second using EFSC. Illumination by 3 Ikea LED lamps diffused through a pingpong ball hemisphere. This was surely overkill on the diffusion, but it was late and I was too tired to mess more with the lighting.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic