www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Beetle Larva (?)
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beetle Larva (?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Beetle Larva (?) Reply with quote

Hello,
I am reasonably sure that this is a beetle larva of some sort, though I of course am more than open to correction! Possibly destined to be a Green Ostomid, as there were several of those under the same piece of bark (Dougla Fir).
Canon 6D, MPE-65, 300 images stacked with Zerene

ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a deep stack for the magnification! It's come out nice and clear.
It's a good match, to my ignorant eye, to the larva sketches in

Insect Families Common under Bark in Alberta, A.G. Raske

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca%2Fbookstore_pdfs%2F23087.pdf&ei=NxafVLLFLdLvaO3XgbAJ&usg=AFQjCNF5ODVhA4ECnx9vGPxyv6YY936AqQ&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s&cad=rja

Illustrations 52 and 53.

I'm curious about the perspective - is the animal really bigger at the back than the front? Sometimes the "scale" correction in the stacking software plays tricks..?
frankw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Beetle Larva (?) Reply with quote

Thanks ChrisR. It was indeed a deep stack, but the length of the larva dictated that... 19mm! There is a slight increase in size the further aft you go, though not as pronounced as the image would lead you to believe. Thanks also for the link to Insect Families Common Under Bark. Useful to me as Alberta is pretty close (WA State, USA).
Here is a close up of his pincers, Canon 6D, 200mm telephoto with Nikon Plan 10X/0.25, 200 images Zerene

frankw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Beetle Larva (?) Reply with quote

I should clarify that the pincer close up was from another larva, same species, possibly different sex??-wild guessing on my part- found in the same log...
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Great images!

This is a beetle larva, family Pyrochroidae (Fire-coloured beetles). The larvae live under bark and hunt for other insects. http://www.zin.ru/animalia/coleoptera/images/w_750/doychev12.jpg http://www.alexanderwild.com/Insects/Insect-Orders/Beautiful-Beetles/i-TLCJq3X

Regards, Ichthy
frankw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: beetle Larva (?) Reply with quote

Thanks Ichthy. According to my book, Insects of the Pacific Northwest, we don't have Fire colored beetles here. But that's just one book, and I am at the very bottom of the learning curve!! Embarassed Laughing
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pincers? Cerci? I'm no beetleologist Sad
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle Larva (?) Reply with quote

Dendroides ephemeroides is a possibility, for example http://bugguide.net/node/view/440882/bgimage reported from Thurston County, Washington.

frankw wrote:
According to my book, Insects of the Pacific Northwest, we don't have Fire colored beetles here.

I think I don't have that book -- although it may be one of the numerous books that I think I don't have, even though I actually do. Confused

In any case I am curious to know: does the book specifically say that we do not have Pyrochroidae, or does it simply omit mention of them?

--Rik
frankw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: beetle larva Reply with quote

Hi Ric,
Well, they don't specifically say that we don't, though another book, Simon & Schuster's Guide to Insects does specify the Fire Colored Beetles as being an Eastern US resident. As I said, I am at the very bottom of the learning curve, so I really shouldn't speak out of turn! I am, however, greatly enjoying the slow journey up said curve. Smile
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of guidebooks, where it seems that the authors are always caught "between a rock and a hard place" in trying to decide how to describe distributions whose edges are always fuzzy and often poorly known.

I just now checked The Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Insects & Spiders (6th printing, Oct 1988). It lists "Fire Beetles (Dendroides spp.)" as "Range: Throughout North America".

I'm very glad that Ichthy happened to recognize this beast. I would not have known where to look without his pointer.

Let me add my congratulations for the image, by the way. It's very well done.

--Rik
frankw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: beetle Larva (?) Reply with quote

Thank you very much Rik! I guess that will be another book I need to get which will go next to Sibley's et al! I always thought birds were challenging because of the juvie vs mature differences. They don't hold a candle to bugs (insects) for confusion vis a vis appearance and range.My apologies to Ichthy for trusting my meager knowledge and lack of reference materials!

Frank Embarassed
Carmen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esteemed Frank:

very impressed by the extended, and convincing, DOF. And curiously, the combination of extended DOF and particular angle make it difficult to estimate the size of the specimen. If you had not mentioned 19mm, one might imagine a much larger specimen!

The composition is also meritorious. The background suggests a habitat. Such attention to detail culminate in a beautiful photograph! Applause

Last edited by Carmen on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
frankw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Carmen,
Thank you so much for your considered and kind words!
Best regards,
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: