Macro wide-angle macro Rig

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TimVisser

Macro wide-angle macro Rig

Post by TimVisser »

I got a new challenge, try to develop a macro lens set up in which you are able to create close macro shots with a wide angle background. The lens set up will be made for a micro 4/3 system.

I am thinking about starting with the 100-35 mm 2.8 lens and reverse this with a c-mount lens (about 40mm) in order to create magnification. In front of this it might be possible to add a small wide angle gopro lens. Does anyone has any experience with something like this? It is a bit new to me and am extremely curious!

Tim Visser

canonian

Post by canonian »

Hallo Tim , en welkom op dit Forum.

Are you looking for results like these?:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=4864
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=108989
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=4889

If you read through the above posts (quite a lot, I know) you might find what you're after.

TimVisser

Post by TimVisser »

Thanks for the links! What shinchin makes looks great! But I want to use it for film. Cropping in resolution will be a problem. Is their a way in creating this effect and without the dark corners? A smaller sensor might be a solution

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A fisheye adapter on a compactcamera/webcam/phone is interesting. Not enough resolution for still photos, but ok for video?

canonian

Post by canonian »

TimVisser wrote:.. But I want to use it for film.
Analog or digital? You would be amazed what DOF you get with a simple small sensored webcam.

TimVisser

Post by TimVisser »

I hope the technique for high resolution sensors will evolve coming years. A small sensor will be better, but need to use it for Full-HD productions. 4K will be even better ;). I found an amazing lens!

The inon UFL-MR130 EFS60. It is designed for underwater houses; but you might be able to produce something in order to connect it direct with the 60mm 2.8 canon macro lens for which it is designed. It comes down to millimeters. Does somebody has experience with this? It looks really amazing!

_sem_

Re: Macro wide-angle macro Rig

Post by _sem_ »

The easiest way is to use one of the compact cameras that have a "1cm" macro mode with sufficient magnification.

Another relatively simple way is to use a wideangle lens on a very short extension tube, for instance I've got the Nikkor AI-s 20/3.5 on the old 5.5mm K1 ring. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3041926

Finding a thin enough extension ring may be an issue, particularly for m43. One workaround is to provide alternative housing for widengle optics with more extension, as already suggested above (playing with tilt is also possible while you're at it). Or use duct tape to fix the lens a short distance from the camera :)

The other workaround is relay optics. Again there are several possible concepts. It is often considered desirable to use a small-format wide-angle or fisheye as the tip lens (blocking one's light at short working distances is an issue). Then a high-magnification relay may be made using a single exotic short macro lens or a reversed wideangle, or a relay may be stacked using a base tele lens and a reversed wideangle.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3044202
It may be desired to have the tip lens at the end of a long thin tube like this http://www.koheisha.net/
Optically it my be better to use the small lens alone using a small sensor, perhaps with Pentax Q or such.
Some relay systems do not involve magnification...
http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_fisheye_1,html.htm
https://www.google.com/patents/US5727236

It may be tricky to set up the relay system without vignetting, and the apertures may not be usable for stopping down as desired.

Another issue here is how much magnification one actually gets at wide angle. The limit is the amount of extension which pushes the focus of your (tip) lens to the surface of its glass ;) in practice one can use a little less, because there needs to be some light on the subject. This happens to depend on particular optics. The mentioned 20/3.5 on the K1 reaches about 1:3, and I hear this is a common value. But I hear there are certain lenses that do approach 1:1, like certain Canon wideangle primes.

lolhonk

Hi

Post by lolhonk »

Hi,

i tried some wide angel macro photography too. I used my 18-55 mm for that together with some extension tubes and +10 lens. But it works not that good. At 18 mm i have to get to close to the object. With 35 mm it works ok but the wide-angel effect istn that much better than with my tamron 90mm

i think the fact that i use a APSC-sensor makes it not better. I think for good results you should use a fullframe sensor and good wide-angel optics or a 28 mm macro lense (1:1).

what do you mean?

regards,

_sem_

Re: Hi

Post by _sem_ »

lolhonk wrote:Hi,

i tried some wide angel macro photography too. I used my 18-55 mm for that together with some extension tubes and +10 lens. But it works not that good. At 18 mm i have to get to close to the object. With 35 mm it works ok but the wide-angel effect istn that much better than with my tamron 90mm

i think the fact that i use a APSC-sensor makes it not better. I think for good results you should use a fullframe sensor and good wide-angel optics or a 28 mm macro lense (1:1).

what do you mean?

regards,
I think WA macro is always at quite short working distances.
However, there are differences among lenses. Some lenses allow very close focus, others do it only with extension. Some reach the closeup range around 1:3, others even approach 1:1 (check Canon WA primes). Image quality under such torture is another question.
I don't think there is a particular issue with APS-C, except for the general lack of dedicated WA primes. Loads of small-sensored compacts are useful for wide-angle closeups - although technically they are not near 1:1 optical magnification, they do fall into the macro category by frame size.
I hear Venus, which recently presented a 60mm macro lens allowing 2:1 max magnification, is also up to a WA macro lens, to come in a few months.
With the 18-55 you may try one of those dreaded front wide-angle converters. The IQ may not be breathtaking, but they do make a wider angle, and also happen to allow closer focus, though not macro magnifications, without killing the inf focus ability (like extension tubes do) - at least the one I've tried did.

You may consider using a flash diffuser mounted around the front lens for improving chances of useful results at short working distances.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I can't find a current Canon lens between 20 and 35mm which focuses close :cry: - ??
There's a Tokina 35mm which goes to 1:1 but it's for APS only, so not wide.

_sem_

Post by _sem_ »

ChrisR wrote:I can't find a current Canon lens between 20 and 35mm which focuses close :cry: - ??
There's a Tokina 35mm which goes to 1:1 but it's for APS only, so not wide.
There's a table somewhere that lists max magnifications with their two extension tubes. Mind these will be at very short working distances.

Sony has a 30mm 1:1 macro for APS-C.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ah with tubes, yes, one of them goes to 1.3x when bug hits glass I think, but the Canon tubes mean there's a gap in the magnification range.
Sigma do 24mm close-focus for full-frame too.

I'm curious about that Tokina 35mm. If it covers APS at infinity it might cover more at 1:1.

One could use a "wide angle" from a large format camera on bellows, but at say 40mm they wouldn't be very wide on 24x36.

Also, some macro lenses change internally as you focus, so the perspective will change even if you hold the lens still, if the entrance pupil moves. That could be a problem for stacking.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned "Olymincan" in this thread yet. If that's not familiar to you dear reader, do a forum search!

gameasher

Re: Hi

Post by gameasher »

_sem_ wrote: I hear Venus, which recently presented a 60mm macro lens allowing 2:1 max magnification, is also up to a WA macro lens, to come in a few months.
yes, the first 100 lens (LW-FX 15mm f/4 1:1 Wide Angle Macro Lens) has been released.
I've got one, but no time to test :(
samples attached from other peoples, enjoy it.

(Admin edit (RJL): These are apparently resized from the "Sample Photos" section of the Macro Photo Galleries tab at http://www.venuslens.net/ .)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Where did you get your 15mm? I don't see it for sale yet?

gameasher

Post by gameasher »

ChrisR wrote:Where did you get your 15mm? I don't see it for sale yet?
hi Chris,

last year, this lens' development was started from a project like kickstarter, i am lucky to join it, so i got one firstly.
soon it will be released to the public, perhaps in the next month.

Kind regards, asher

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic