Carpet Beetle - Anthrenus verbasci

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Carpet Beetle - Anthrenus verbasci

Post by Beatsy »

Not exactly the kind of bug I wanted to find in the house! But at least it was an easy-to-stack subject :) Time to hunt the dark places for larvae though...

This specimen is about 3mm long. 80 images captured with a Nikon Plan CF 5/0.13 and stacked in Zerene (Dmap).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Carpet Beetle - Anthrenus verbasci

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:Not exactly the kind of bug I wanted to find in the house!
Not to worry! They don't actually eat carpets (most kinds, anyway). They're more into all those tasty skin flakes that just happen to accumulate in carpets.

If you have higher power objectives, take a close look at those colored scales. They have interesting shapes too.

--Rik

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

rjlittlefield wrote: Not to worry!
--Rik
unless you have an insect collection, or, in fact, any (dead) animal collection
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote:If you have higher power objectives, take a close look at those colored scales. They have interesting shapes too.

--Rik
I could just see that they're tapered, hollow tubes at 100% - like butterfly wing scales rolled lengthwise into narrow cones - but down-scaling to 1024 wide lost those hints of detail.

I only have the 5/0.13 for "off microscope" use at the mo, and it will be a while before I can afford another. I hacked my Zeiss inverted for similar incident light shots, but I'm no longer satisfied with the results after seeing the performance of the Nikon!

On the bright side, getting the 5x has made it easy to decide what I want next. I have a macro and reversed camera lenses for 1x-3x on sensor (or less) and the Nikon objective covers 3x to 5x. I find that once those "wide-angle" shots are done, I always want to get in closer - so something in the 20x range will be next on my list. Perhaps even a Mitty if I save hard :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic