Soldier Fly

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crotermund

Soldier Fly

Post by crotermund »

I found him recently on a thistle.

Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I've never seen the like of this. Very interesting.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

karl-m

Post by karl-m »

Fantastic....how do you get them so clear like this....are these a couple of stacked images....??
Believe when you see it, the camera never lies...

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I like the compostion of the first one the best. These are quite sharp. Great shots Craig. :D

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Thanks a lot guys. :D Karl, I have never done stacking, but hope to experiment with it at some point. I do all my processing in photoshop / lightroom at this point. Ken, I like the composition of the first one too. I think there is something kind of neat about those thistle spikes. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Craig,

You do such a great job shooting! Can you share with Karl and the rest of us technical info like what camera settings & lighting were used for this, whether these are full frame or crop, how much (if at all) they've been sharpened in post-processing, etc etc?

--Rik

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Hey there Rik - Thanks a lot.

You asked:
Can you share with Karl and the rest of us technical info like what camera settings & lighting were used for this, whether these are full frame or crop, how much (if at all) they've been sharpened in post-processing, etc etc?
I would be happy to. :D I used my Canon 30D / Sigma 150mm with a Canon 580ex Flash. The Flash is covered by a Lumiquest flash diffuser. I was shooting F11, Exposure 1/160, ISO 200. I was shooting with a tripod.

I used Lightroom to make my selection as there were various combinations of proboscis length and leg movement. After selecting I sent it to photoshop for minor adjustment with Shadows & Highlights, noise removal with Noise Ninja, and maybe a .7 pixel Smart sharpening, but I can't remember for sure on this one. It is about a 30% crop. I hope this helps, but feel free to ask more if I missed anything. :)
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

What a great green color on the fly. You also did a great job on the metallic thorax sections. He looks like he is cleaning his tongue :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic