New field shooter from Denmark

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nidding

New field shooter from Denmark

Post by nidding »

Hello all :)
I'm quite new to this forum, and haven't been lurking for more than a few days. But this seems like a great community, so why not just join from the start? ;)

A little about myself...
I'm a student of the history of religions and philosophy, from Denmark, who have 2 kids and a sweet wife. I listen to and play death metal music, keep a reef aquarium, do medieval re-enactment in the summer and have been into photography since I bought my first camera a year and a half ago. I also enjoy cooking and playing the banjo. Yep. That's me in a few lines ;)
And now I want to focus on the macro part of photography, as this is what I have found the most fun so far :)

As written, I am rather new to photography in general. I have recently finished a 365 project on nikonites.com, which gave me a good start and I have taken at least one picture every day for all of 2014. Not all great! But picking up the camera at least once a day is a hel of a way to get comfortable with shooting :)
Anyways, I picked up a second hand Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5 VR late in the autumn, annd have had time to get acquainted with that lens. I really like it. Unfortunately, I have not had luck to be able to find a whole lot of bugs to photograph, and by now there are none to be found before spring kicks in. In the mean time I have had time to make a diffuser for my flash, and toy a little around. Here are a few of the pictures I have taken so far (I hope it's okay to post pictures off of Flickr?)
ImageDSC_1533 by jonas_sandager
ImageDSC_0376 by jonas_sandager
ImageDSC_0844 by jonas_sandager
ImageDSC_9879-Edit by jonas_sandager
ImageDSC_1521 by jonas_sandager
And here is a picture of my humble setup
ImageMacro rig 3/2/15 by jonas_sandager

I much prefer to go out into the fields and get some photos of animals and plants in their true element. Both for ethical reasons, but also because I find it to be a great way to get out and enjoy nature :)

What I'm contemplating at the moment, is how to go beyond 1:1. The routes I have in mind right now is either getting a raynox 250 or reversing a EL-Nikon 50mm on my existing lens. The later seems to be both the most economical approach, and maybe also the better? I'd love to hear what you guys would recommend :)

Cheers!

ps. I'm using a nikon d3100 and an old SP-24 speed light from Nikon, if that matters at all :)
Last edited by nidding on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome to the forum Jonas! :)
Used as a "close -up" lens on another lens, the El-Nikkor is likely to cause vignetting, it's hard to tell until you try. It would be a lot stronger though at 50mm than the Raynox DCR250 which is 125mm focal length.
I'd try the Raynox first. It will only get you somewhat closer than your macro prime lens alone, but your camera controls will still work and it'll give you an idea about the really narrow depth of field you have to deal with.

To go closer, a reversed lens on cheap extension tubes is a decent method, though there are several. See the FAQ section - How to get more magnification.

nidding

Post by nidding »

ChrisR wrote:Welcome to the forum Jonas! :)
Used as a "close -up" lens on another lens, the El-Nikkor is likely to cause vignetting, it's hard to tell until you try. It would be a lot stronger though at 50mm than the Raynox DCR250 which is 125mm focal length.
I'd try the Raynox first. It will only get you somewhat closer than your macro prime lens alone, but your camera controls will still work and it'll give you an idea about the really narrow depth of field you have to deal with.

To go closer, a reversed lens on cheap extension tubes is a decent method, though there are several. See the FAQ section - How to get more magnification.
Thanks Chris :)
I'm checking out that thread as we speak. Good with a heads up on the vignetting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic