Hack LCD from 3D SSG-5100-GB glasses.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fotoopa

Hack LCD from 3D SSG-5100-GB glasses.

Post by fotoopa »

The intention was to obtain an LCD glass to use later as LCD shutter. That's why I bought a new 3D glasses (€15.50). I want to control it yourself. From the Samsung 3D glasses, I finally hacked the 2 glasses This is a fairly difficult task. You can not just open the glasses to dismantle them. Everything is fixed. With a dremel I ground away small particles. So I could better see how the glasses were connected. Originally these glasses work wireless at 2.4 GHz. For this control, I had no interest. I will control direct the LCD via a self-built ac driver. So I can better determine the desired open/close times. This LCD shutter is for my background led module. The LCD shutter must be closed if the front LED lighting is switched on in order to allow a full black background. The background module is then driven to the appropriate color with the LCD shutter open.

I already have a pcb that with minor modification can be used as ac driver module. Which was already foreseen in my great controller for stacking photography. I just need to write some extra verilog code in order to activate this module. The hardware connector is already present. Size Glasses 1 x 2 inch.

The shutter works with a square wave signal of 12V peak at 1Khz. This close the shutter. To open the shutter the 2 connection pins need the same voltage. This will be 6V here with a difference of less than 5 mV.
There should be no DC offset so as not to degrade the LCD in the the long time.

With the LCD shutter open I obtain with an background exposure time of 4msec, a histogram level of 200, once closed, the light value is no longer measurable. Useful area is 24x40 mm. This shutter fits the Cokin filter holder. LCD glass is attached with double adhesive tape.
This setup test the open and close timings:

lcd_shutter_open time 4 ms:

Time to close the shutter glass 320 us:

What if you zoom in on LCD glasses ?

If the LCD glasses are open, you see only your original light. But what if you drive the glasses partially to close a part. The glasses come translucent with zero offset voltage at the terminals. I now step by step change the duty cycle so that he begins to suppress the light. I took pictures with the microlens 10X of the structure. With a duty cycle of only 20%, the light is suppressed to 2 stops. Curiously, however, is that a structure is present which gradually black lights. All adjacent surfaces simply mute according to the duty cycle change. This structure is repeated about at each 163 um. The structure remains present in each duty cycle value, but can be seen best with 20% duty cycle.
In picture 2, I strongly increases the contrast from picture1. This was at 20% duty cycle for the square wave driver. In picture 3 and 4 the same but with 100% duty cycle. Even completely black and extreme contrast you still see this structure.
This, just to see how LCD glasses change. For my application, this does not matter. I do not focus on the LCD Only the light is to be blocked, or are allowed to pass. The LCD glass is placed in front of the LED background module and out the focus of the object to photograph. You get over the 10 stops of light reduction.

To test the suppression, I first took a picture with open glasses. Via capture NX2, I checked the RGB channels in order to have no saturation. Then I have executed a white balance. The histogram was then 200. Then I took a picture with Closed glasses. On the histogram, you see nothing but a few pixels with 0 to 1 or 2 If you could cover the lens you will see little difference. These were images taken with the focus on the LCD.
If you go a few mm out of focus then you notice anything out black. For my application this works perfectly. I did not know you could arrange so easily to make the transition between light and block light by the duty cycle of the waveform. You can create a variable ND filter just in case you can not control the light source itself. This will give you new opportunities.

I still have a rotary encoder free on my controller. That I could use to adjust the duty cycle and controlling the light source. It also works with the stacking unit. All times and duty cycles are programmable.
More tests will follow, which are also on my Flickr site.

Update:
The above tests were only with backlighting from the color backlight module. Here the light is completely suppressed when the LCD shutter is closed. But now there is a problem if you use the foreground exposure. The light of the foreground module reflects now through the glass. This gives me a green low-level reflected light. Without the glasses it was a low level of white light of the white diffuser. This finally solves nothing. All my work appears for nothing.
What a disappointment!

Frans.
Last edited by fotoopa on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Brilliant work Frans, this is fascinating. I'm sure you will have many followers!

fotoopa

Post by fotoopa »

The above tests were only with backlighting from the color backlight module. Here the light is completely suppressed when the LCD shutter is closed. But now there is a problem if you use the foreground exposure. The light of the foreground module reflects now through the glass. This gives me a green low-level reflected light. Without the glasses it was a low level of white light of the white diffuser. This finally solves nothing. All my work appears for nothing.
What a disappointment!

Frans.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

fotoopa wrote:What a disappointment!
I have greatest sympathy! At the same time, I am reassured to see that I am not the only person who occasionally gets surprised by aspects that in retrospect seem like "Oops".
All my work appears for nothing.
Far from nothing. Thanks to your work we all know much more about these shutter glasses than we did before. Surely this information will get used for some other purpose. Thank you for the investigation!

--Rik

fotoopa

Post by fotoopa »

Thank you for your supportive words Rik !

Yet I still trying to get better results. I placed a black mask for the glasses, the cokin filter has 3 entry slots. The mask has now a hole of 10mm diameter, the rest of the front side is matte black. When I turn on the glasses I still get a nice reduction of the reflection, at least 2 to 3 stops. This way I can still use dark colors of the background module. Precisely those dark colors are otherwise not be possible.

Today I had a lot of verilog code added for the new parameters into the controller for the glasses who meanwhile worked. Yet not all lost...

Frans.

fotoopa

Post by fotoopa »

Results of the glasses remain poor. The cause remain the reflection of the front of the glasses. There remains only a good solution, the hard way, a mechanical shutter.
I had already done some testing with it. The speed is not a problem. Only the mechanical assembly is much difficult. The driver, a full H-brige is the same. Electrical and software, there is no difference.

Now the courage to integrate the mechanical solution.

Frans.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Outstanding work Frans! Thank you! I have been interested in these for another purpose.

Would you care to try a different brand of shutter glasses. I have a pair of StereoGraphics glasses from the USA which I would donate to your cause.

They are powered by coin batteries one for each side and are controlled by infra red pluses from a control emitter.

If this is of any interest to you send me a private message with your address.

Gene

fotoopa

Post by fotoopa »

Thanks Gene! I've sent you a pm.

In order to make clear the problem, a small drawing:

The glasses shutter was set to avoid reflections of the white background diffuser. However, the glasses reflects the same amount. Hence nothing is resolved. The glasses itself has only 36% passage of light at open. Once closed, he suppressed all the light from the color module. For the glasses is still a mask of 18mm opening. This mask works very well in order already to avoid a large portion of the reflections. The distance is around 50mm but can be changed. The farther the more suppression but also the more light you have to drive in the color module.
I have glasses now replaced by a filter ND4. This works better than the glasses because the reflected light is suppressed x 2. But it is not yet perfect and the color module should give more light because the ND filter.

Update:
I'm working on a hack of a Nikon D100 shutter. This would be ideal considering the opening is larger:

Most functions are already working.

Frans

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic