BH2 with SplanApo's and BH2-UMA? (solved - not possible)

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

amml2000uk

BH2 with SplanApo's and BH2-UMA? (solved - not possible)

Post by amml2000uk »

Hi guys

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the SplanApo's for reflected light microscopy? Is the Working Distance just too small for it or what is the issue? I assume as long as I ensure the 160mm it should be fine or is there something else to consider?

Thanks,
Adrian
Last edited by amml2000uk on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

I can see 2 problems that are likely to affect image quality:

1) It is physically impossible to achieve a 160mm tube length when the BH2-UMA is attached to your microscope, unless you use something other than the Olympus heads.

2) The BH2-UMA is designed for use with infinity-corrected objectives such as the Neo S Plans and M S Plans, but the S Plan Apos are corrected for 160mm tube length.

For more information, check out the BHM catalogue and the BH2-UMA instructions available free here:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... s.html#bh2

Alan Wood

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Alan has provided the answers if you were thinking of using BH vertical illumination.

If by chance you were thinking of something like putting them on bellows then there are still problems. With the exception of the 4X, the working distances are very small....IMO unworkable.

They need to be used with chromatically corrective eyepieces to complete the optical corrections.

WD (in mm) for S Plan Apos:

4X 9.83
10X 0.55
20X 0.55
40X 0.13

amml2000uk

Post by amml2000uk »

Thanks, this absolutely answered my question =)

Adrian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic