Tasmanian Native Wasp...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crocoite

Tasmanian Native Wasp...

Post by crocoite »

Hard to get at this one to photograph. It was a bit out of reach.

Though not aggresive, when they do sting - wowsers! You know about it. Had one get me in the palm of my hand a few years back. Ouch!
Last edited by crocoite on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Netgarden

Post by Netgarden »

Very different than what we have here in California. We have one with no middle, it's the weirdest thing just a straight line where the stomach should be. I don't know if they sting...don't wanna know! lol They are hard to photograph because they don't hold still anywhere. Yours too?

But the yellow jackets wow :twisted: do they hurt!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty wild looking wasp there Steve. :smt028 That a stinger sticking out the back? :?:

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:Pretty wild looking wasp there Steve. :smt028 That a stinger sticking out the back? :?:
Oh yeah! And I forgot to mention the scale. These guys are about 1.5 inches long!

salden

Post by salden »

I hate stings. I am allergic, but I photograph them anyway, I am just very careful.
Sue Alden

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is an ichneumon wasp (Hymenoptera:Ichneumonidae). The larvae are internal parasitoids of other insect larvae like caterpillars. Mommy Ichneumon injects an egg into the body of the host. The growing wasp larva feeds off the host's tissues, eventually killing it. Some of the ichneumons have ovipositors that are several inches long and can bore through solid wood to reach the tunnels of their hosts.

The ovipositor doubles as a stinger. According to How to Know the Insects (3rd edition, pg.373), "Many females bear a long, nonretractable ovipositor...and will try to sting by poking only when handled. Others have short ovipositors and may sting readily."

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic