Leitz Dialux stand - rebuild photos added

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

steveminchington

Post by steveminchington »

Well, this has turned out to be a difficult project to get moving, so I am shelving it for the time being. I may end up using the stand for a vertical macro aid. But... I have just bought a 1953 black enamel Leitz Ortholux, which is beautiful indeed, and is all ready to use. So I am eagerly awaiting delivery. You may well see it in another post after I have given it the customary spit and polish. Microscopy here we come :D

elcomm

Post by elcomm »

Hi Steve, I was wondering what kind of grease(s) you used on the focuser block, and are you happy with the results you got? I'm working on an old Dialux that is in great condition, but does need a relube.

I've seen a couple of different Nyogel greases recommended (795a and 767a), but their kinematic viscosities are different by a factor of ten! I've also seen someone recommend Finish Line teflon grease.

Thanks

Chris

henryr

impressive and very helpful pics

Post by henryr »

steveminchington wrote:Just posting a couple of pictures of the focus block rebuild. This isn't suitable for a macro rig as the fine focus has limited travel. The course focus knob turns the worm gear which rotates the rack pinion. The fine focus knob moves the worm gear from side to side which rotates the rack pinion a very small amount.
My Dialux focusing and stage movements are very smooth. There was just some hardened lube at the movement stop pin areas of the XY stage. The condenser holder lube is still pliable and it also moves nicely. So based on all this I've decided not to dis-assemble the components.

I did make an aluminum head adapter ring to convert the scope from 170 TL to 160 TL. The dimension from the face of the turret objective mounting surface to the top of the mounting ring is 47mm on the Dialux 20 and is 40.1321mm on the Dialux. The adapter ring raises the 160mm TL head 6.8679mm (.27039). That, in conjunction with eyepieces for a 160mm TL scope, completes the conversion..

The adapter geometry matches the 43mm head mounting ring. This makes for a perfect locking fit in the Dialux. The upper inner diameter is 42mm to match the trinocular head used on 160 TL scopes. Three small set screws engage the mounting ring channel, locking the head in place.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Some while after the original posting, but I just wanted to post my thanks to Steve for these extremely helpful images:

I recently purchased a Dialux frame "for spares", hoping to be able to get it working. It turned out that the focus block was jammed in such a position that there was no access to the screws for dismantling. I consulted an engineering contact of mine, Eddie, and with the help of these images he was able to perform some careful surgery to gain access for dis-assembly without adversely affecting any of the internal mechanism. The instrument appeared to have experienced a violent incident of some sort and the bottom stop pawl had been forced out of position in such a way as to jam the block. Fortunately there was no actual damage to any of the components. Once Eddie had got the block apart it was possible for him to reassemble it in working order and I now have a fully functioning Dialux.

So, a big thanks to Steve for making all this possible, and of course to Eddie for his engineering assistance.

Here is the Dialux set up and working:

The new access points are circled in yellow:
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi Graham !
Nice to see that your ICT move to right Stand

Best Regards
Pär
****** Seeing is Believing ******

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Thanks Pär - well spotted! - I've been intending to do this for some time and it seems to be working well.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I don't want to take this off topic, but your camera coupling method looks interesting. It looks like you have a lens mounted on the camera, so presumably it's a form of afocal coupling. I don't recognise the tube mounted in the trinocular head though. Would you care to elaborate here or in a separate post? It's always interesting to see people's methods of attaching a camera which are working for them.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

David - I see we have another lurker who misses nothing! - I've started a new thread at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 584#207584
Graham

Clemens

Re: Leitz Dialux stand - rebuild photos added

Post by Clemens »

Thanks steveminchington for the photo's of the repair. That was great help voor the repair of my Leitz Dialux
Here some picture of my proces.
Old grease was extreem sticky / hard. Cleaned everything ultrasonic before the reassembly. Used Kluber Isoflex Super DS 18 as new grease.

Image Image

Image Image

uski

Post by uski »

Clemens wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:12 pm
Thanks steveminchington for the photo's of the repair. That was great help voor the repair of my Leitz Dialux
Here some picture of my proces.
Old grease was extreem sticky / hard. Cleaned everything ultrasonic before the reassembly. Used Kluber Isoflex Super DS 18 as new grease.
Thank you for the pics! I am also having challenges with the focus knob assembly, which is incredibly hard, and I have no choice but to relube it.

I assume from the pictures that to disassemble it, you just used that gear puller to "push" the rod away from the fine focus knob? Nothing else needed besides loosening the screw on the end of the shaft?

I 3D printed a holder (was easier for me than fiddling with wood), but I am a bit reluctant to just use a gear puller without making sure I won't break something

Thanks

Clemens

Post by Clemens »

Repair completed today. Slightly different construction of the same type of mechanism.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic