Cactusdave's Goerz Condenser

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Cactusdave's Goerz Condenser

Post by gpmatthews »

Both being members of the Quekett Microscopical Club, David and I often chat at meetings and over the odd pint afterwards.

He told me that he had purchased a Goerz substage condenser that is intended for providing a novel type of oblique lighting. Unfortunately it had a broken diaphragm and also does not fit his Zeiss Standard microscope. I offered to have a look at the diaphragm and also see if it was possible to fit to a Zeiss Standard.

It proved to have only 9 of the 12 diaphragm blades present, and although it would work with 9 blades, this was not ideal.

Condenser diaphragm, dismantled, showing 9 blades

I decided to try and replace the missing blades. I did not have any steel shim of the right thickness, but did have some 0.005" brass sheet. I stuck some electricians PVC tape to one of the good blades and carefully trimmed it to make a pattern. I did this three times and stuck the patterns to the brass sheet. I then masked off the sheet with a combination of more tape and a circuit board resist pen. I masked off the rear of the plate completely with PVC tape. The plate was then immersed in ferric chloride solution and occasionally agitated until the sheet had etched through. This was then rinsed thoroughly in water, and the three new brass blades peeled off from the PVC backing and drilled in the correct positions for pivot pins. These were made from brass rod. I first tried to fix them in the holes by using a pin punch on the end of the rod to expand it and jam in the hole. This was only partially successful, so in the end I soldered them and then filed the raised soldered region flush with the blade surface. This left just enough solder to hold (I hope!!).

Here is the reassambled diaphragm with new brass blades:

...but the blades were bright brass. To blacken them, I used cuprammonium carbonate solution. To make this, I bought some copper sulphate on eBay, some household ammonia and some washing soda (sodium carbonate). Firstly a spoon spatula full of copper sulphate was dissolved in water in a test tube. Separately, a couple of spatulae full (to ensure excess) of washing soda were dissolved in water.The two solutions were mixed and the resulting precipitate of copper carbonate filtered off and washed. This was then dissolved up in about 30 ml of household ammonia solution. My daughter loved the beautiful rich blue colour of the cuprammonium carbonate solution (but not the smell!). [Did you know than ammonia was named after the god Ammon because of the smelly substance formed when the ashes of sacrifices at the Temple of Ammon in Egypt were moistened with water?...]

The brass blades were degreased by wiping with a cotton bud moistened with toluene and gently cleaned with fine emery cloth. They were then immersed in the cuprammonium carbonate solution for about 30 mins. This gives a gunmetal black finish. Here is the finished and assembled diaphragm:

To fit the condenser to a Zeiss substage, I tried a number of configurations. The most successful was to build a "nest" for the condenser out of sheet plastic that enables it to sit on top of the substage mounting ring. An aluminium ring is attached to the underside of the plastic nest and fits into the Zeiss substage ring, enabling the condenser to be located and centred. This ring should really be the Zeiss dovetail type of ring, but as I do not have a lathe, is at present a plain ring. It works, however!

Here is the condenser mounted in its "nest":

and -
Note the half-silvered slit filter

Here it is mounted in the substage ring of a Zeiss Standard GFL (same size substage ring as the other Standards):

The condenser is sited rather higher than a Zeiss condenser would be, so to prevent crashing into the underside of the slide, it is advisable to fit an extension to the height stop.

Now to describe how the condenser functions:

The main part of the condenser is a normal condenser with clip on top lenses. These are either plain, or spot lenses as used for darkground illumination. The condenser has a displacement control that can throw it off centre in a single linear direction. In the lower focal plane of the condenser is a clear slit formed in a half silvered filter. You can see this swung out in one of the images above. If the slit is aligned with the direction of the displacement control it is possible to move the darkground spot along the line of the clear slit, but maintain constant lighting through the semi-silvered region of the filter. It is claimed this gives superior oblique light images.

As for the images, with less than a x40 objective, very satisfactory normal darkground can be achieved:

Zeiss Plan 25/0.45 Objective

At higher powers, COL can be used with the slit side lighting and variable offset:

Zeiss Plan 40/0.65 Objective

Zeiss 63/0.8 Objective

I've posted a lot of pictures in this topic, but understand I'm allowed to in the technical areas by the guidelines. I hope this topic gives some interest and maybe some ideas and techniques that others may find useful, as well as introducing the Hungarian Goerz condenser.

Thanks to Cactusdave for a fascinating few weeks of experimentation!
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Cactusdave's Goerz Condenser

Post by rjlittlefield »

gpmatthews wrote:I've posted a lot of pictures in this topic, but understand I'm allowed to in the technical areas by the guidelines.
Yes, absolutely, and this post of yours is a beautiful example of what we hoped to see when we made that change. Many thanks for taking the time to put this together!

One quick question... I know it's traditional for diaphragm blades to be black, but I've always wondered how much it really matters in a condenser. Did you happen to try using this one while it was still bright, and if so, how much difference did the blackening make?

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

An interesting bit of chemistry there! I wonder where you found it.
Gun Blue will turn brasses and steels black, or dark blue. I've found it best to dilute it for brass, or it can flake off.
Liberon also make a patinating fluid called Tourmaline.
Last edited by ChrisR on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Rik - I did try the diaphragm with bright brass blades, and there was no obvious effect on the image. It just irked me seeing the different colour blades!

As for the chemistry, I found some references via Google that told me that cuprammonium carbonate was what was needed - or buy model engineers' brass blacking fluid, so I decided to make my own. The copper sulphate cost me the princely sum of £0.99 + p&p for 100 g.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I purchase this interesting condenser on Ebay for a very modest amount unclear in mind how it could be mounted on any of my microscopes. When it arrived it was clear that in addition to the mounting problem, there were problems with the diaphragm. Very little has been written about the use this condenser, which originated in Hungary in the early 1960s, though I was able to find a research paper that provide a theoretical basis for it. Knowing my own severe mechanical limitations, I showed the condenser to Graham at a Quekett Microscopical Society meeting and he offered to see if he could repair and mount it. He threw himself into this project with characteristic enthusiasm and the results can be seen in this thread. Thanks Graham. And actually the condenser gives quite interesting results optically, which of course is a bonus! :D
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Graham... nice piece of work!

phil m

relatively n.o.s. Goerz condensers

Post by phil m »

I thought of starting another thread about the Goerz condenser but it then seemed appropriate to continue with this older excellent thread by gpmatthews. Over time I have ended up with 2 of these condensers, both in their original wooden boxes and cardboard outer boxes and both seemingly , little used. One even has the price on it; $39.50 U.S.
The reason I ended up with these was that they arrived with some American Optical equipment. The boxes say, Goerz American Optical Company on them. My initial take on these condensers , was that they were imported by American Optical having been adapted for one or more of their microscopes.
After having them sit around for several years I set about trying one out. Could I find either a Spencer or American Optical microscope that they would fit? No.
Spencer and American Optical microscopes have had dovetail condenser mounts since about 1920. Sleeve mounts were available on special order and the Goerz condenser is built for a sleeve type mount, with various adapters supplied in the kit to fit various size sleeves. I eventually realized I could remove the dovetail section from the earliest Spencer condensers( covering up to and including the Spencer #5 and #3 research models), and fit that dovetail ring onto the Goerz, sleeve. So I can conveniently fit this condenser onto a Spencer #5 with 4 apochromats. It will also directly fit into most earlier Japanese microscopes and the Bausch & Lomb research stands up to the time they brought out the zoom( Dynazoom?). So why is this an American Optical product?
It isn't. It is a Goerz American Optical of New York product, which was the American branch of C.P. Goerz of Hungary. It has nothing to do with Spencer-A/O of Buffalo.
On to more important stuff.
Since my examples came in the original boxes , and seem little used, I take the leap of
faith that they have been untampered with but unfortunately, as original as these kits are, they arrived with no instructions.
Graham's description of the condenser he repaired so well and made superb photographs from, differs from what I found in the boxes. One box had pencilled on the label 1017 and this was also stamped on top of the knurled adjustment flange. The other
had 1019 penciled on the label but the number stamped on the adjustment ring is 1014.
The only difference I can see between the two, is that one kit, the 1017, includes a Bertrand lens( telescope) of extremely high quality , with a locking screw. It is marked Goerz MOM Hungary. It weighs a whopping 6 oz. and has a little black velvet lined relief for it built into the Birch box. The box labelled 1019 has the place for it but no telescope. The Condenser itself has it's own little velvet lined relief and each of the extra accessories, darkfield .65 cap, darkfield .8-1.2 cap and a dispersion, green and blue filter are all housed in fitted slots. What would the telescope be used to align? Centering the condenser, as a starting point?
Now, I take it that the 3 filters supplied are to rest in the swingout filter tray,which they fit and which rotates in and out below the condenser but in Graham's example the slit condenser lens was resting in this tray. The odd thing is , that this slit lens , which is the heart of the condenser, in my examples, is mounted way up inside , about a cm. below the main condenser lens. It looks to be factory installed there with a correct fit , cement and a split ring keeper.
I have only been able to try this condenser out in a rudimentary fashion but under darkfield the 3-D effect is quite pronounced, under brightfield , less so. The condenser was crudely installed into an oversize dovetail mount so precision was not exactly happening ...I got the general idea , though.
So, with my condensers, the main condenser lens group, moves with the slit lens , against the illuminator beam and iris diaphragm aperture because the slit lens and condenser group are fixed in the same tube. In the example used in the thread, the slit lens rides with the iris and illuminator beam , adjusting against the condenser lens group. Has someone altered CactusDave's condenser because it worked better that way?

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Interesting - if I have understood correctly, I think the key is that it doesn't matter whether the slit is mounted in the filter holder or in the body of the condenser provided that condenser displacement is along the line of the slit. It is the displacement of the optical axis of the condenser against that of the microscope that is important. Conceptually the slit does not move, even if it does in fact. Hope that makes sense...
Graham

phil m

Post by phil m »

That would seem to be the case but I still ponder the difference between creating a lightpath shift before the iris as opposed to after. It would seem the overall effect the iris had on the system and it's total usefullness would be altered.
and then there is the bertrand lens. what exactly would be aligned in this system and what are the markers of alignment?

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Not sure what effect the differences with respect to the iris diaphragm might have.

I suspect that the Bertrand lens is intended to ensure that the slit and the spot of the spot lens are central to the microscope axis.
Graham

phil m

Post by phil m »

I will soon securely fit this into a 160mm tube length scope that willl receive it's mount and give it a more qualified trial---secure and accurately centered. Previously, it was floating atop the condenser yoke of an infinity corrected A/O 10. It was a little shaky but what I was able to get was almost the opposite of your results. I got a fairly standard brightfield image with the 1.2 N.A. condenser top----very limited 3-D effect but I did get a much more pronounced darkfield 3-D effect but I only took it up to 400x. It was too unstable to get into higher magnifications or immersion.

The other thing is that two of the condenser tops are labelled 1.2 and .8-1.2. This implies that they are oil immersion top lenses, with the .8-1.2 darkfield one being a maximum of .8 when used dry.

They may behave completely differently when oiled and illuminated with adequate illumination to drive high N.A. darkfield.
Will post some results a.s.a.p.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Funny these condensers are still out there. I would love the opportunity to try one of these out myself.

I have been told it is in fact possible to build your own condenser or modify an existing design to create this type of advanced oblique illumination.

Someone mentioned a silver disc with a rectangle cut out and someone else mentioned a mathias wedge/arrow.

I prefer oblique over anything else, even darkfield and it provides a nice and low cost DIC like effect.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Searh in the forum for UGF (Universal Gradient Filter), the finest oblique illumination system I've seen, designed by the forum member Litonotus.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 5802#95802
Pau

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Thanks for that Pau. I will investigate that one.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

I just need to find out pictures of the improved filters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic