www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - First Rig finished at last!
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First Rig finished at last!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveminchington

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: First Rig finished at last! Reply with quote

You may have noticed a recent flurry of activity from me on the forum after a long absence. The reason is I have been building my first rig, in between other projects, which has taken about two years. So now it's time to play.

It has been built on quite a tight budget so I have had to wait a long time to find all the parts on ebay at the right price. A couple of parts came from the US but I try to avoid that if possible due to the high shipping costs. The rest of the parts were sourced in the UK, all used and reconditioned by me. I was lucky to find someone selling off equipment from an optical lab that had closed down. They were doing research for the Ministry of Defence but then the MOD pulled the plug on it so they had to close.
I made all the adapter plates myself. I used the clamp on the extension tubes because the camera is a cheap flexi plastic bodied D5000 and the objective waggled up and down. It's only 12 MP, and no fancy automation on the rig but it is pretty solid.

A Newport M-SG-12-2 scientific grade optical breadboard – 24” x 12”
B ThorLabs L490 precision lab jack – fine Z movement
C Melles Griot 100mm dovetail slide with 65 and 40mm sliding blocks – positioning X
D Home made 12mm thk aluminium adapter block
E Velmex A4006 C-S4 dovetail slide – fine thread – fine X movement
F Home made 12mm thk aluminium adapter block
G Home made 10mm thk aluminium camera plate
H Melles Griot lens holder machined to fit ring on objective cone adaptor
J Newport PRL12 dovetail slide with 2 x 25mm sliding blocks – positioning X
K ThorLabs DT25/M single axis stage – medium Y movement
L Home made 20mm thk acrylic adapter block
M Melles Griot YZ lens postitioner in XY orientation – fine XY movement
N Melles Griot 50mm dovetail slide – positioning X
P Melles Griot telescopic post on 65mm sliding block
R Modified lens holder for positioning light source
S Extension tube set
a RMS to M42
b M42 x 20mm long tube
c M42 x M52 adapter ring
d Nikon K5 20mm long tube
e Nikon K2 adapter ring – bayonet to M52

This picture shows the bellows - I removed the bottom mount and rack gear and tapped a couple of holes in the rail. This is screwed onto another plate which interchanges with the camera plate for an easy changeover.

GemBro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Steve ... I bet that weighs a ton ... Smile ... a very solid/stable setup no doubt ... result on the bargain buy too ...
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Optional Arduino based Stepper Focusing system (being built)
steveminchington

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gem - yes, if there were a down side to it, it would be the weight. The Newport breadboard is very heavy but very stable. It was the most expensive part - I paid £200 for it but they cost £600 inc vat from Newport. This was one of the parts from the lab closure.
Rylee Isitt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice that you have the equipment and know-how to machine your own adapter plates. No doubt this makes the process much easier.

Thanks for the explanation as to why you're clamping the lens... makes sense now. I think a bit of play in the bayonet mount itself is also to be expected, even on the high end bodies. My camera (Canon 7D) wiggles a bit too.

Those Pentax bellows... they are great! I have the same one and think it's one of the best purchases I ever made.

But I'm not so sure there's such a thing as "finished" when it comes to this kind of thing, haha.
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rylee Isitt wrote:
I think a bit of play in the bayonet mount itself is also to be expected, even on the high end bodies. My camera (Canon 7D) wiggles a bit too.

Great point, Rylee. Bayonet play is a definite issue, and not often discussed. Steve's rig seems to address this issue nicely. (If I correctly understand the images, that is--the camera is snugly pressed against element E, right?)

For this same purpose, I made a bracket that holds the camera very firmly in space behind the macro rig. It's adjustable to accommodate different camera bodies. While I can shoot without it, I much prefer shooting with it. It makes framing more consistent and repeatable, and eliminates the slight, random changes in image rotation that I used to see during some stacks. Until you have your camera firmly locked in place, you may not realize how much it used to move.

--Chris
steveminchington

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rylee - You would laugh if you saw the equipment I used to make the parts... I may have the know how but sadly lack the equipment! All done with a hacksaw and vice, a DIY drill and drill stand, a belt linisher, and a glass plate and silicone carbide paper to flatten off the parts. Oh how I wish I had a small milling machine.

Yes, metal bodied cameras are so much better (but more expensive). I have a Nikon F5 which is solid as a rock, but no good for stacking.

I like the Pentax bellows - very well made and yes, maybe I should have said "useable at last" not finished as I dare say it will go through some evolution Smile

Chris S. - The camera is screwed to plate G from underneath with a countersunk 1/4 x 20 socket screw.

Plate F is is screwed to the Velmex Slide with 4 x countersunk socket screws then the camera plate G is screwed to F with 4 x M5 socket screws once the camera is fixed to it, so the camera is securely fixed in two places. I can push and pull the camera from side to side and the image barely moves, only from a tiny amount of flexure in the jack B.

There is a tiny bit of free play in the XY stage M, and no way of adjusting the slides, which is a bit odd, but I have another XYZ stage I may try at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: